Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
motomomma
Registered Member

Default Purchasing Ladies First Bike

Hello Ladies, Advice please…

Ready to buy first bike. I don’t want to buy something and not be happy… After looking around at used bikes it seems people sell them after not having them for very long because they are looking for something bigger?
I don’t want to buy small. I am sure this will be my only ever purchase. And I will pass this down in 4 years to a son, so it must be cool.

I don’t know if I should go new or used.

I am 115 lbs and these are choices I have narrowed it down to. I will mainly be driving small back country roads, short trips, and sometimes have a child on board ( 8-17y/o)

The Victory and Raider are my favs, not many available used and expensive new…

Yamaha Raider

Suzuki Boulevard M50

Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic

Victory Vegas or Similar

Any advice on full face helmets too!

Thanks so much!
motomomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

You weigh 115lbs, and don't wish to buy "small" for your first bike?

You DO realize that, the lightest bike you named is nearly Five Times your own weight, with the worst being almost Eight?

I only point this out, as "small" in your list, is relative only to the behemoths at the large end of your moto-scale.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There are dozens of threads on this board advising not to purchase the type of bikes you've listed for a first bike. You should read them. However, if your mind is made up and you don't want to be confused with the facts, I suggest you get a HD Sportster. You're obviously focused on the cruiser style, it has that, you don't seem to have plans for long rides, the Sporty works for that, it's as easy or easier to ride as any of the bikes you've listed, and your kid will like it when you give it to him. Spend about $5,000 on a 04 to 06, and you won't lose your ass if you do decide to sell it or trade it in a year or two.

Helmets: you can spend $90 or $500, and both will do essentially the same thing. The cheaper ones won't last as long (vents break, straps are thin, etc.) but they will protect your noggin. The more expensive ones are quieter, easier to clean, and look better. As long as it fits snugly, you will be ok.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

+1 on the Sporty. Good all-arounder that will work for a newb or a more experienced rider. I finally agree with Ken! Hoooorahhhhh!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

MM, don't get caught up on the idea that you want to get only one bike. Almost every person who gets into motorcycling likes to try different bikes over their riding career - in fact, that's part of the fun. Bikes have such a greater variety than cars, and it's common to want to experience something else. So, you could easily get a first bike that you could use for a year or so, and then you'll have an even better idea of what you'd like to ride after that. A benefit is that a used bike often can be sold for just about what you paid for it in the first place.

Ok, now more practical stuff. Bike fit is a lot more than seat height and comfort when you're not moving. Motorcycles are dynamic. They are not like cars, where you can tell if you fit just by getting in a car in a showroom and adjusting the seat. The wind pressure and road shocks make a difference on a motorcycle! You might think that a bike in the showroom fits well but I know a LOT of women who have been cruelly surprised out on the road. They find that the wind blows them back, or that they can't turn because the reach to the handlebars is too great. Did you check that reach to the handlebars? Did you try to move the bars from lock to lock? Or did you just reach straight forward? If you can't easily turn the bars from lock to lock *with some ease in your arms* you won't be able to turn the bike out on the road.

As for the bikes you have selected, the only one that I think is suitable for a beginner is the Honda 750. It's still (IMHO) too heavy but from what I have seen it is controllable. The women I know who ride them are tall, though - around 5'7". The Victory and Raider are too damn big, period.

My advice - start with a small, used bike. Learn for a year and then get what you want.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
+1 on the Sporty. Good all-arounder that will work for a newb or a more experienced rider. I finally agree with Ken! Hoooorahhhhh!
I'm leaving work and rushing out to buy a lottery ticket! WHOO HOO!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

FWIW, I don't think a Sportster is a good choice. The power band isn't bad but they are HEAVY, with the weight up top. I've seen too many women drop those bikes to think that they are a good beginner bike for a lightweight person.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd also go with the Sporty or a Triumph Bonneville, both are off the charts in cool factor and you will actually be able to have the bike serviced and modified if you wish when you hand it down to your son.

An added benifit to the Sporty is the Riders Edge and other training programs available through your HD dealer, you are right smack in the middle of their target demographic and you should find much more support from Harley than anyone else.

Sachi's right about fit and bike weight but the Sporty is well balanced and the Bonneville is quit light for a full sized bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yes, true - the Bonnie would be a lovely choice.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'd also go with the Sporty or a Triumph Bonneville, both are off the charts in cool factor and you will actually be able to have the bike serviced and modified if you wish when you hand it down to your son.

An added benifit to the Sporty is the Riders Edge and other training programs available through your HD dealer, you are right smack in the middle of their target demographic and you should find much more support from Harley than anyone else.

Sachi's right about fit and bike weight but the Sporty is well balanced and the Bonneville is quit light for a full sized bike.
And not only that but the Bonnie America is about the only cruiser that isn't as common as fruit flies.