Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
+1 on the Sporty. Good all-arounder that will work for a newb or a more experienced rider. I finally agree with Ken! Hoooorahhhhh!
The difference is you'll recommend that she pay for the Sporty and Ken will tell her to "hope" for the Sporty!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Don't get so wrapped up in how heavy the bike is! The lightest road bikes are at least 350 - 400lbs. You aren't going to be picking the bike up on a regular basis, hopefully.

Much more important is how the weight is distributed. Sporty bikes tend to be more "top-heavy", while cruisers carry their weight closer to the ground.

Most important for you is whether your feet touch the ground on both sides of the bike, and that means more than just your toes.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The difference is you'll recommend that she pay for the Sporty and Ken will tell her to "hope" for the Sporty!
Aw Buzz, you're such a goof! Ya got me, ol pal!

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 02-27-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
motomomma
Registered Member

Default Thank You!

Thank you all so very much. I have read many of the forums about first rides etc...

You all have given me a lot to think about, and a few more options for bikes. Of course more options, means more confusion!!

I am very worried about dropping a 600lb machine. How do I pick it up? Do I just call for a tow truck? 911? Locate the nearest nursing home and borrow their obesity lift?
Or is that the part where you get to play damsel in distress and hope for a Dudley to happen by?

I will tell you all a lesson, I (and my son) learned about cool looking bikes. I purchased one of those Schwinn Stingray OC chopper bicycles with the extended fork. No one bothered with a test drive…
You can not turn at all on the bike because the handle bars hit your knees… like an adult on a tricycle! Seriously… it is almost that bad. That was a $100 lesson.

I will be much more careful when it comes to the real thing.

Thanks again!
motomomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #15
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Somewhere on the internet

Some where on the net is a video that a woman made on the proper technique for righting a motorcycle. Perhaps someone who isn't in such a rush to get to work can recall the key words for that search or have the link. It's a fairly popular subject on the net.

So is somewhere 1 or 2 words, I can't for the life of me recall...
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomomma View Post
I am very worried about dropping a 600lb machine. How do I pick it up? Do I just call for a tow truck? 911?

I purchased one of those Schwinn Stingray OC chopper bicycles with the extended fork. No one bothered with a test drive…
You can not turn at all on the bike because the handle bars hit your knees… like an adult on a tricycle!
There are a couple of techniques for picking up bikes, but that should not be a driver in evaluating which bike to buy. If you drop it, get help picking it up!

So, you're saying the OC Chopper Bicycle handles exactly like their bikes? How authentic!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I will tell you all a lesson, I (and my son) learned about cool looking bikes. I purchased one of those Schwinn Stingray OC chopper bicycles with the extended fork. No one bothered with a test drive…"

The lesson you learned is to teach your son to build his own chopper bike instead of buying one. No matter how it turns out, it will be way cooler than anything you can buy, and he can actually brag to his friends that he built it himself.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #18
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
I am very worried about dropping a 600lb machine. How do I pick it up? Do I just call for a tow truck? 911? Locate the nearest nursing home and borrow their obesity lift?
Or is that the part where you get to play damsel in distress and hope for a Dudley to happen by?
The woman sfcd mentioned is called "Skert" and indeed has some videos showing how to pick up huge bikes. The problem is, Skert demonstrates her technique on bikes that have engine guards or the like that keep the bike seat up a bit. As a result, she can get some really good leverage against the bike, which is how her technique works. If the bike is completely flat on the ground, there's no way to get that leverage, and you have to play damsel in distress and hope for a Dudley. (Done it myself with my 420 pound bike . . . )

Ok, let's find Skert's site: Pink Ribbon Rides

There you go.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
I will tell you all a lesson, I (and my son) learned about cool looking bikes. I purchased one of those Schwinn Stingray OC chopper bicycles with the extended fork. No one bothered with a test drive…
You can not turn at all on the bike because the handle bars hit your knees… like an adult on a tricycle! Seriously… it is almost that bad. That was a $100 lesson.

Back in the throws of my miss-spent youth we used to "find" bicycles laying around. This was in the late 60's early 70's when the Schwinn Stingrays were first coming out. We'd "find" one and cut the forks off with a hacksaw then pound those forks over the ones on our bikes..voila...instant chopper. one I had had a regular bicycle seat on instead of the ever popular black with metal flake banana seat, along with the apehangers and extended forks it looked just like the ones on the crappola Biker Movies of the time.

The problem of course was that merely pounding the forks over the exisiting ones wasn't a real permanant solution and after a few wheelies the forks and wheel would come off and bounce down the road and you'd wind up doing a face plant in the street, usually in front of the neighbor in his Old's Vista Cruiser who would hop out and roundly criticize you for being the no good idiot that you were while the other neighbors dog would try to drag you off somewhere...

Fun times...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-27-2008 at 06:54 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I did the exact same stuff. We even showed off our bikes to the local 1%ers, and they dug it. I bet you can't even find one kid that does that stuff any more.