Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
SeeJoy
Registered Member

Default Low Speed Corner Turn

Hi!
I am currently taking the MSF course in PA and I'm really impressed with the quality of both of our instructors, Bob and Tom.
In one Sunday afternoon I've gone to zero time on a
motorcycle, to swerving, cornering, shifting and performing emergency stops.
Quite a bit to take in in 5 hours, but everything is going well, except my low speed tight corner turns, well, and turning in and out of tightly spaced cones.
My guess is both tasks use the same skill.
The cones aren't on the test at days end this coming Sunday, but the tight low speed turn is.
Any tips that could help me get this down?
I'm using a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 that the MSF provides.
Thanks!
I really appreciate any replies
Joie
SeeJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I've taken the test both in AZ and then in PA and I enjoyed the PA training better. The guys teaching we're just better in communicating lessons and techniques.

The low speed turns, I'm guessing you mean the figure 8 in the marked off box, will come with practice. Unless you completely dump the bike during the test you will probably pass.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
ejis
Founding Member

It's hard to learn this stuff by reading a forum - but that's why you're taking the MSF course. Anyway, a couple things to remember: Always look through the turn, to where you want to end up. Do not look at the thing you're trying to avoid (cone, curb, car, etc.) If you need to turn tighter, push the bar harder and keep looking through the turn. Do not chop the throttle mid corner; try and keep a steady amount of throttle through the course of the turn. If you get in trouble and feel like you're going to fall into the turn, just open up the throttle a very small amount and keep looking where you want to go.

The main thing is practice, and keep up with training - one MSF course is a good start, but the more, different classes you take the better.

Good luck!
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Don't look down!

Also- for that particular exercise, with that torque-monster bike, keep your engine rpm up, and use the clutch to moderate your speed

Oh, and as my riding buddy, presently nicknamed "Tripod" would tell you, "If you drop the bike, let the damn thing drop!" Don't try to muscle it back up - you can't, and you'll probably hurt yourself trying.

It's not that hard, and you'll get it soon enough. Don't get frustrated.

Good luck!
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Looking through the turn is the best advice someone can give; look even farther through the turn than you think you should. It seems intuitive to look in front of you or at the tire, but do not do that, it will cause you to turn wide.

The other thing to do is to slide you butt to th opposite side of the bike and put a little more weight on the pegs than you normally would - lean a bit on the inside peg more than the outside peg.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
SeeJoy
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your ideas!
It's not a figure 8 in the box, we haven't done that yet.
Just a very simple sharp turn, using an "L" shaped line on the ground and three small cones, set at an angle to make a lane. They are maybe 2 ft from the lines.
When I turn the handlebars at such a slow speed,(walking speed), it seems like the bike wants to tip over, the steering feels boggy, makes me nervous, and I look down knowing I'm going to run over the line. LOL
And I do just that.
Looking up to where I want to go, which I have no problem doing at higher speeds,and having more throttle than I did, sounds like it might fix the issue.
I'll try it Sunday and report back

Thanks again!
Joie
Old 09-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Looking where you want to go, and NOT where you DON'T is something even experienced riders have trouble with now and again.

Don't think that passing this course is the "End" - rather, think of it as "The Beginning" - of an ongoing riding education.

Never stop practicing, never stop learning.

Even then, sometimes "it gets you": Larry Grodsky was one of the best street riders in the World - Died due to a Deerstrike, and you KNOW if anybody was looking-out for those hooved woodrats, it was him.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

I was just thinking (and being honest with myself) that I still screw this up sometimes. Had a couple panic! situations this summer when I really needed to look thru, but instead had a brain fart and stared straight at side of road/semi-truck/oil spill/tree branch. Takes a conscious effort to practice this skill
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
SeeJoy
Registered Member

Thanks once again for all your replies. Just thought I'd let you know that I did indeed pass the MSF course yesterday with only a few points "earned", That was for going slightly over the line during the figure 8 in the box portion of the test, but, I didn't put a foot down and it ended up being my best "box" of the whole course
Everything else I nailed!
Now I just have to get a bike of my own..

Joie
Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Congrats! And have fun shopping!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote