Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
YellowBird
Registered Member

Default looking for a bike when you're 5"1"

I'm 5'1" and have a 27" inseam. I ride a 650 suzuki savage and am able to flat foot with no changes to the motorcycle. It only weighs about 350 lbs so its very nimble and has lots of power on the highway.
YellowBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
hottee davidson
Registered Member

Thumbs up Bike's For Short People

I would suggest that you try a Harley Davidson Sportster 833 Low
hottee davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
faastmoto
Registered Member

okay, that you are planning to bike as suits you the best with affordable and convenient. I know there are many places we can easily get one the main concern thing that are we getting the right one if yes then alright unless we regret to the choice made by us. So the best doesn’t always have to be very costly and precious and the most expensive doesn’t always turn out to be the best. This can be applied with the many things that we usually purchase these days.
Many times over, a lot of products have proved to be a fraud because they advertise a lot of wonderful things about the product more than it actually does or it actually is. So in order to get the best deal out of our hard-earned money, we better make sure that we make the right choices, buy for the right reasons and pay for the best items.
The same thing is true with motorcycles. Motorcycles can be insanely expensive or otherwise depending on the brand, model and components.

motorcycle center are up and about to give a long list of motorcycle and all are said to be in good condition. (Of course, who would say his product is not?)

However, good motorcycles need to have good motorcycle tires. The tires will lead towards safety and the other way around. Tires should fit the size of your bike. As a bit of information, there are bikes good for Asians and for Americans or Europeans, so know the size most fit for you and where you are. So don’t just buy any tire. Learn to buy the ones that will go well with your lifestyle and purpose in trying to own one.

With regards to using your bike, how long do you have to use every day, and how fast should you go?
These things you will have to determine so you can find the one with the kind of engine that best fits your needs in life. Your engine should work well with the motorcycle exhausts because they are partners at work. The exhausts should help the engine in its work to generate power for the bike and act perfectly to emit the burnt gas out.
So when it comes to anything you want to buy, you don’t really have to settle for less, actually.
faastmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faastmoto View Post
okay, that you are planning to bike as suits you the best with affordable and convenient.
WOW. That was a lot of effort you expended......just to sneak in your 3 spam links.

If you run a legitimate business, how about being up front about it and posting a real ad in the proper sub-forum ???

If not, how about you stop wasting our time.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Shhorty
Registered Member

Ride what feels best to you. The Suzukis, V-Stars, Shadow 750's are just a few that come to mind, that have a nice, low center of balance. If you are totally new to riding, perhaps something small? a 250 or an older 450? If you want a HD, perhaps an 883 or something similar? Sit on everything. Rock it back and forth. The V-Star 650 Custom is pretty light. The Suzuki too, but if you want to buy aftermarket stuff, the Suzuki may have some drawback on what is available. It all comes down to how YOU feel. At 4'10", my V-Star 650 Classic was just right, plus I lowered it. It was low enough stock, but I wanted a Florida Slam, so did it myself. Then, a nice stilletto seat completed the profile that I was looking for. What worked for me, might not be what you want. But that bike was perfect for me, because I didn't really outgrow her. She had plenty of power.
Shhorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

New Triumph Bonnevilles are low, especially the Speedmaster model which is also massively cool, that would be my choice if I were a "Vertically Challenged American".......Um...(you are American right? not one of those pinko commie fag Europeans or Canadians????)

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
tonitriumph
Registered Member

Default short people have short arms And Hands

I have a Triumph Speedmaster. I got pullbacks to bring the bars closer, and a custom seat so I didn't slide off the back.
Nobody thinks about the size of hands though: I never knew I was supposed to be able to have my fingers on the levers. Somebody told me just use your 3rd finger....then I pointed out my fingers are over an inch shorter than his. The tip of my finger barely touches the lever.
1" bars, which the Speedmaster have, are surprisingly bigger around (that 3.14 thing) than regular bars. Even less finger length left over for levers! I bent the levers back a little (forged, they didn't break) which helped a bit. The clutch is already adjusted as soft as it goes. Any thickness of glove makes control close to dangerous.
Try the controls while moving the handlebar when you try bikes.
I got a WRR and have had a horrible time getting it rideable for me.
tonitriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitriumph View Post
I have a Triumph Speedmaster. I got pullbacks to bring the bars closer, and a custom seat so I didn't slide off the back.
Nobody thinks about the size of hands though: I never knew I was supposed to be able to have my fingers on the levers.
Good point, you are indeed correct; that's something I never considered. With all the "adjustable" levers on bikes nowadays, one would think short-fingers could be compensated-for quite easily. However, even being a "average-size" person, I've noticed that typical "adjusters" are nigh-unto useless, and move the lever(s) toward the bar(s) barely a measurable amount.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 09-30-2011 at 07:31 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
tonitriumph
Registered Member

Default Short people & Speedmaster

Thanks for noticing how cool the Speedmaster is; the America would have been more comfortable but I absolutely had to have the drag bars and gunslinger seat. A friend told me to get it and I could change out bits and make it more comfortable. That works great for Hondas and Harleys with a big market base. Less common bikes (but less common is always cooler!) can be really tough to find goodies for.

Seat and leg geometry varies a lot. 5'4" is exactly average height for a woman. Inseam is what counts though. A little 'robustness' around the thigh effectively shortens the leg too-- I shaved the corners and barely 1/2" off my WR seat and it made a noticeable difference in being able to reach the ground and move weight side to side.
tonitriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
pushrod
Founding Member

Even though this thread is quite old, it has had over 54,000 looks!

You'd think the manufacturers would notice, wouldn't you?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote