Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Women Riders (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/)
-   -   Helping my wife get started. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/5710-helping-my-wife-get-started.html)

BrowningBAR 07-03-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritboy (Post 164217)
Simply put, have her take an MSF course and she'll discover if concerns 1-3 are warranted, and discover if she wants a motorcycle, a scooter, or nothing at all. Just depends.

My wife rides a Volusia 800 after learning on a Virago 250 (great little bike). I'm still amazed how many men AND women are shocked she rides and doesn't just sit on the back of my V-Strom. I though we were past all that bull... it's '07 afterall.

It depends on the type of person she is and how she learns. If she gets flustered or embarrassed easily when she is learning than take her to an empty parking lot so she can gather some sort of confidence on a bike before the MSF. She doesn't have to ride it. She can sit on the bike with it running, push it in a straight line, put it on full choke so the bike will move under idle. It will allow her to understand the weight of the bike and how everything works.

Some people are timid. Some people hate learning in groups. Some people don't want to feel embarrassed. If you give the person an opportunity to feel a little more comfortable they will get more out of the class.

tripleripple 07-03-2007 01:01 PM

"the EX250 can do, I think, a max speed of around 110mph"

'I think' huh? How is it that everybody knows exactly how fast an EX250 will go...

BrowningBAR 07-03-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripleripple (Post 164231)
"the EX250 can do, I think, a max speed of around 110mph"

'I think' huh? How is it that everybody knows exactly how fast an EX250 will go...

I was basing my info off of reviews and reports as I have never ridden one. If I recall correctly, 110 is top speed out of the box with no mods as per the reports.

And if I had ridden one I'd tell you straight away if I got the little bugger that fast.

tripleripple 07-03-2007 01:52 PM

Okay then. Your reviews and reports are right. Although not my first bike I spent my first two years on the street on that bike. Two of my buddies each had one and I would just steal theirs. Great bike to learn on, EXCEPT when your best friend is next to you on the identical bike, as this tends to invite, um, competition.

kavenger 07-03-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 164218)
It depends on the type of person she is and how she learns. If she gets flustered or embarrassed easily when she is learning than take her to an empty parking lot so she can gather some sort of confidence on a bike before the MSF. She doesn't have to ride it. She can sit on the bike with it running, push it in a straight line, put it on full choke so the bike will move under idle. It will allow her to understand the weight of the bike and how everything works.

Some people are timid. Some people hate learning in groups. Some people don't want to feel embarrassed. If you give the person an opportunity to feel a little more comfortable they will get more out of the class.

Excellent Idea BrowningBAR..Great advice...and so true Some woman need a little head start cause they might feel a little intimidated by class full of mostly guys... I don't think it would hurt just to show her how things work and like you said she doesn't have to ride the bike before MSF. Even though I had some very limited dirt bike experience a long time ago before I took the MSF class, I think if just someone would have shown me the controls it would have made me more comfortable.

My first wife and most of my girl friends were a little timid. They were a little intimated by situations like a male dominated MSF class or ski class.. My current wife wouldn't listen to any thing I would say so I would send her to MSF without a head start..I can't teach her anything... I am sure she would be correcting the instructors in 30 minutes.:rolleyes:.i.e. she questions everything.. I tried to teach her to ski.. I gave up after 20 minutes. Paid someone else to.. Best money I ever spent..:)

BrowningBAR 07-03-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripleripple (Post 164239)
Okay then. Your reviews and reports are right. Although not my first bike I spent my first two years on the street on that bike. Two of my buddies each had one and I would just steal theirs. Great bike to learn on, EXCEPT when your best friend is next to you on the identical bike, as this tends to invite, um, competition.

How tall are you? I've sat on an EX a few times while at MC shops. It seemed like it might be a bit of a tight fit.

I'm 6'1", but I have no problems with my back or knees.

BrowningBAR 07-03-2007 02:30 PM

It also applies to guys, too. People learn differently. The point to the MSF is to get the most you can out of it. if you spend most of your time concentrating on whether you look goofy or worried about embarrassing yourself because you are self conscious, than you should find a way to get your hands on a small displacement machine and give it a good once over.

Gritboy 07-03-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 164218)

True enough, however before dropping serious cash on any bike she might want to find out if she even wants to ride. That's where an MSF course (or equivalent) is valuable. Besides, if a person can't handle learning in a group course then I pity the foo that drops their own bike the first time, or overruns their first stopsign, or runs wide on a public road. Now that IS embarrassing and potentially dangerous.

Learning on a trainer bike (ego aside) removes the trepidation of wrecking your own bike and you can learn by observing as well, with people in or around your own skill level.

sachiwilson 07-03-2007 09:12 PM

Excellent thread. Thanks guys!

I agree with the MSF recommendation. Your wife might also want to check out women's motorcycle groups in her area - having the encouragement of other women riders can be a big boost for some women who are entering the sport.

tripleripple 07-05-2007 10:44 AM

I'm 6' even. I don't remember having any real comfort problems on the EX except for my knees, which are bad and start screaming at me on anything other than a forward control bike.