Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
xxfallen2deepxx
Registered Member

Default Need help upgrading to a bigger bike

So I have a problem, I currently ride a Kawasaki Ninja 250r (first bike). I love it because it is almost the perfect size, but I hate the engine noise (it sounds too much like a dirt bike to me) and I want more power/speed, so I am looking for a bike to upgrade to.
I definitely want a sportsbike but I have a few problems. 1) I am only 5'3'' so seat height is an issue (I cannot even flat foot on my 250) and 2) I only weight 100lbs so weight of the bike is an issue as well (I can barely back up/move my 250 around/up a driveway).

Any suggestions would be really helpful! Thank you!
xxfallen2deepxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

You can't change the physics of the bike; anything much larger than a 250 is going to be 400 lbs and up.

You can lower most bikes by either putting in a shorter (or sometimes longer) suspension link (aka: dogbone), and moving the front forks up in the triple clamps. Every bike has a safe limit; once you have a few possibilities picked out, see the bike-specific websites for details from experienced owners.

Lower and/or thinner seats are also available for most bikes.

Some bikes have very narrow areas at the front of the seat, which helps, so sitting on a lot of bikes is a good idea.

The SV 650 series might be a good next bike for you. Its a good step up from the 250 without going overboard, and can be lowered at least an inch at both ends without too much compromise in rideability.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
xxfallen2deepxx
Registered Member

Lowering a bike scares me because I have heard that it compromises the stability and handling (everyone seems to have a different opinion on how much but some have told me it is best not to touch it at all)

I am trying to find something with a lower seat height stock as well as lowest possible weight. I understand the bigger engine you put in a bike the more it is going to weigh. I would just like something that is already lower and weighs less than most without having to alter it.But I am not sure if that even exists?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
The Spaceman
Registered Member

You're right about lowering, but, everything is a compromise. Harley makes some very low bikes, for instance, but they're heavy as hell.

My advice: find a "multi-line" dealer, or a used bike dealer with a lot of bikes in stock, and start trying them out.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Sporty-type bikes tend to be taller, because they 'need' to have the cornering clearance. If not for the mechanicals, at least the rider's footpegs.

So you're going to have to look for something that's close, and then (as Ken said) look in that bikes forum(s) to see what folks say about lowering them.

Welcome to the site!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

I saw a ninja 250's seat modded to where the owner removed all the padding and just spray glued a thin piece of neopreme for a pad after bondo'in the seat pan flat. This may be an option once you find the bike you like. Drop the seat foam a few inches and gain the access to the ground without lowering the bike. Keep a mod like that in mind when shopping, look to see if the seat can be cut down and still be semi comfortable.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine is only 5ft tall but rides a Ninja500 with lowering links. She uses it for touring and loves it.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
xxfallen2deepxx
Registered Member

That makes sense about cornering/foot peg clearance. I've heard about the modifications for the seat as well as lowering the bike entirely, I was just hoping some manufacturer somewhere had designed just one motorcycle for petite women. I guess I am out of luck?
Thank you both for the input!

I know shaving the seat down will not be enough so I'd have to lower the suspension as well. I just do not want to compromise my safety, as I do not know exactly how it changes the bike (other than lowering of course).
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
xxfallen2deepxx
Registered Member

Seruzawa: did your friend notice a difference in handling? And how much did she lower it?
I am looking for something in the 600cc perferably though.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

I found this for you after thinking about a Monster. Old info, but may be a good way to go.

Ducati Monster List FAQ
12er is offline   Reply With Quote