Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Patrycja
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7
Question Bike Maintenance

Hey,

I'm new to biking. About a month ago I got endorsed and bought my first sports bike - 2006 Ninja EX500.

I wonder - how did/do you learn about the proper maintenance of your bike? I want to make sure that my Prince is in a great condition, but MOM seems to be so detailed and tedious... Is there any other (easier?) way?

My friend did a thorough inspect. once I first bought it and said that it's in a perfect condition, and I have nothing to worry about, but it feels bad to do nothing (except for minor cleaning/lubing/pressure checks) to take care of it.

I can't wait to get my hands dirty !!!

Let me know what did you do to learn about how what works and how to fix/maintain your bike by yourself ?

Thx
Patrycja is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
CookinBeans
Registered Member
 
CookinBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Asheville
Posts: 42
Default

ATVs & Motorcycles Repair Manuals, Workshop Manuals, Special Tools

Motorcycle Repair Course

Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R - Index

Road warriors - ADVrider

A shop or owners manual will have a list and the mileage to indiacte when certain things need to be done. Also, Ron Ayers not onoly sells parts, they have a parts fuche that provided blow-ups for better understanding of thing like where gaskets, clips, washers, etc should go, what' to look for if you decide to check your own valves, etc.

Model-specific founs are usually good places to hang out and learn/ ask questions and so on. Advriders isn't really about just one model, but there is a TON of knowledge there.

Finally- hang out in motorcycle types of places and just talk to people.
Biggie; Advertise a social gathering of other newbies who want to get together and share tools, worries, advice, doughnuts and coffee- whatever. Sopmetimes you can find independant -or even dealership- mechanics to hold sessions like how to change your oil, how to do whatever for one day. Sometimes they do it for the good will, sometimes hoping to pick up a frustrated customer. Never hurts to ask around.

Good luck.
__________________
Well, I'll be...
CookinBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrycja View Post
but MOM seems to be so detailed and tedious... Is there any other (easier?) way?
I'm new here but not to riding.
Get to know and love your MOM !!

Not necessary to learn it ALL at once, just follow the time/mileage schedule and take one thing at a time.

Chain maintenance, for instance, is an ongoing thing and will probably get your hands nice and grimmy.
__________________
'11 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 C
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member
 
Morbo the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,307
Default

The best place to start is the owner's manual. It has a chart that shows each of the maintenance items (oil change, spark plugs, chain, etc.) and how many miles between service for each one.

There will be some basic information on how to perform the work, but the best way is to have someone with experience do it with you the first time. If that's not possible, you can buy a Chilton manual for your bike that will give you step-by-step instructions.
__________________
Fun Facts to Know and Tell!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member
 
Morbo the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,307
Default

The best place to start is the owner's manual. It has a chart that shows each of the maintenance items (oil change, spark plugs, chain, etc.) and how many miles between service for each one.

There will be some basic information on how to perform the work, but the best way is to have someone with experience do it with you the first time. If that's not possible, you can buy a Chilton or similar how-to manual for your bike that will give you step-by-step instructions.
__________________
Fun Facts to Know and Tell!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Anything FOG sez on the EX500 Forums or email-lists should be followed pretty-much as if Muhammed himself said the Angel Gibril read it from the Golden Book of Allah.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
CookinBeans
Registered Member
 
CookinBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Asheville
Posts: 42
Default

???



Who / what is "FOG", and what did that mean in general?
__________________
Well, I'll be...
CookinBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinBeans View Post
???



Who / what is "FOG", and what did that mean in general?
FOG = F#$&in' Old Guy - the nickname for a guy that's essentially been riding, racing, wrenching, and tuning EX500's since Moby D!ck was a whale-sperm. It's been awhile since I tuned-in to the EX500 forums and email-list; he may have gone to that great racetrack in the sky by now.

But chances are he's probably crusty enough to still be hangin' on. If he don't know it about an EX500, it's not worth knowing.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Patrycja
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinBeans View Post
ATVs & Motorcycles Repair Manuals, Workshop Manuals, Special Tools

Motorcycle Repair Course

Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R - Index

Road warriors - ADVrider

A shop or owners manual will have a list and the mileage to indiacte when certain things need to be done. Also, Ron Ayers not onoly sells parts, they have a parts fuche that provided blow-ups for better understanding of thing like where gaskets, clips, washers, etc should go, what' to look for if you decide to check your own valves, etc.

Model-specific founs are usually good places to hang out and learn/ ask questions and so on. Advriders isn't really about just one model, but there is a TON of knowledge there.

Finally- hang out in motorcycle types of places and just talk to people.
Biggie; Advertise a social gathering of other newbies who want to get together and share tools, worries, advice, doughnuts and coffee- whatever. Sopmetimes you can find independant -or even dealership- mechanics to hold sessions like how to change your oil, how to do whatever for one day. Sometimes they do it for the good will, sometimes hoping to pick up a frustrated customer. Never hurts to ask around.

Good luck.

Wow! Thanks for such a detailed response. Sounds like there are quite a few options out there - me gusta!

BTW, I just got my bike inspected again and still doing good - freshly pampered feels so nice and smooth... Next time, will do it myself

Thx
Patrycja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Patrycja
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
FOG = F#$&in' Old Guy - the nickname for a guy that's essentially been riding, racing, wrenching, and tuning EX500's since Moby D!ck was a whale-sperm. It's been awhile since I tuned-in to the EX500 forums and email-list; he may have gone to that great racetrack in the sky by now.

But chances are he's probably crusty enough to still be hangin' on. If he don't know it about an EX500, it's not worth knowing.
Sweet - I'm going to check EX500 FOG Sensei out, thx

BTW, a 'whale-sperm' ???

Last edited by Patrycja : 12-27-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Patrycja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off