Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Patrycja
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
The best place to start is the owner's manual. It has a chart that shows each of the maintenance items (oil change, spark plugs, chain, etc.) and how many miles between service for each one.

There will be some basic information on how to perform the work, but the best way is to have someone with experience do it with you the first time. If that's not possible, you can buy a Chilton or similar how-to manual for your bike that will give you step-by-step instructions.
Thanks a lot for the advice When I first bought my babe, my friend checked it for me and we used the owner's manual to see what needs to be done, how everything should be set and changed.
It was fun to do, but no-go without proper tools, the bike lift, lubes, WD-40s, and of course his experitise =) Good learning experience... Now, I'm ready to learn some more Thx.
Patrycja is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Luckily in Phoenix there are as many motorcycles as here in South Florida. I had no trouble meeting other riders when I moved out there for a year on a consulting job.

I'd ask around the local motorcycle shops and find some "Bike Nights" and club activities. You should be able to get hooked up with a mentor that way.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Trilliumliz
Registered Member

I'm a little late getting to your message. Congratulations on getting your endorsement and even more so for wanting to do your own maintenance.

The routine stuff isn't that difficult and is easy to learn once you get started. Start gradually with the easy things - like checking tire pressure, oil level, lubing your chain - all found in your owner's manual. You'll want to know how to check the chain tension and adjust it too. Get someone qualified to show you how the first time and let him/her watch while you do it - and then you'll have no problem continuing.

Getting into the habit of inspecting your bike regularly. You're more likely to notice something that may become a safety issue. Doing your own basic maintenance, oil changes is less expensive, you know it's done correctly and it makes you feel so good to be able to do it!!

Enjoy!
Trilliumliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Had a instructor at MMI that held the number 3&4 plates in Arizona on a pair of GS500E's back in 91&92,...needless to say he was the machine shop instructor.

Good choice on a first bike wish I would have gone that route.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
noela
Registered Member

Keeping a tire repair kit with you at all times can definitely be a life saver! My husband bought me a Genuine Innovations repair kit and it came in quite handy when i needed it.
noela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyi2011 View Post
The maintenance of the bicycle, anyway, in my personal feeling is to often cleaning, wipe, of course, the more important is to often even get, this is the most important
Thank You very much for your Postings! I will try that Informations!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
cloud9
Registered Member

Youtube is also filled with some basic videos on motorcycle maintenance. You may not find anything model specific but it can be help full to see something demonstrated in video.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote