Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
dragondad65
Registered Member

Default Best choice for a short person?

Hi All
My wife would like to have her own sportbike. I told her that brand doesn't matter, as long as they make a 1000cc for me. Here's the problem, she's 4'9" tall with a 26" inseam, weighs about 93 lbs, and is looking for at least a 600cc bike & doesn't want a cruiser. I'm estimating that after she stradles the seat, she might have 22" to touch the ground. What would be the best bike & would it need to be lowered? Worrying about ground clearance. She has said that she wants to be able to touch the ground with both feet, preferably flat-footed.
Please make suggestions.
dragondad65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What's her Riding Experience? If she's been a pillion for years, but not a pilot, I strongly advise against that 600cc sportbike, to hell with the 1000.

Another thing: if YOU plan on riding the bike, then get one for YOURSELF: What's "good" for you might just get your Wife killed, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with her gender.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

4'9"? She's probably shyt out of luck. Possibly a Ninja250 or 500 would work with lowering links.

And if you love her you won't let her on a 600 as a first bike.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Make her take the MSF BRC. Then have her ride a Ninja 250 first. Or a Buell Blast. My gf has a Ninja 500 now (I started her on a Ninja 250). She is 5'4" and had it lowered three inches, because she couldn't flat foot it. She still can barely flat foot it, and she doesn't like that it "crunches" if she goes over bumps. Steering is also affected. She shouldn't touch a 600 until she's been on a "newb friendly" bike for a couple of years.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
dragondad65
Registered Member

AirHawk: I'm planning on buying 2 bikes. The 1000 or higher is for me, 600 for her. Her experience is limited. She is wanting her own, instead of riding in the back of mine. I would prefer a CBR 1000, but I know that the CBR 600 can't be lowered enough for her. I'm not sure on the Ninja, GSX's, or FZ's. She has a friend with a "Busa". She sat on it & can almost touch flat-footed. But, I told her that that's way to much power for her. She's not wanting to ride hard, but doesn't want it to be slow, either.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
dragondad65
Registered Member

seruzawa: I do love her & that's why I'm doing the research 1st. I know the 600's have enough power, even for me. She's heard a GPZ 500 & doesn't like the sound of them, she says that they sound like a chainsaw..lol.

trenttheuncatchable: She's planning on taking the course. We had it here in town for a lot of years, but they've cancelled it. Closest place is an hour away. I wanted her to take it last year, when it was here. They had it in a 3 day or 5 day. I wanted her to take the 5 day, it gives more experience time, instead of craming it in in 3 days.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

I'm gonna stick with the Little Ninja. It may have the lowest seatheight, and the 'least dangerous' powerband.

Yeah, she may think it's a 'weenie' bike. But she won't loop it when she panics.

While she learns on it, she can look for a 'beefier' next bike.

Besides, at 93lbs., she will be plenty fast on that 250.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Her height is really going to be a problem. There simply aren't many bikes imported into the USA for shorter people. The low slung bikes are usually wide too which eliminates the advantage of the lower seat height.

Get rid of the idea that a bike that gets less than 100hp is slow. I'll tell you this right now about the CBR1000. You will never use it's power advantage. Go to some place like the Dragon and you may see guys on 250 Aprilias humiliating people on CBR1000s and such. Power advantages have a way of melting away in the twisties.

The little Ninjas will do 100mph. Hardly slow. At 4'9" and 93lbs she's likely to be hard pressed to hold any bike up. As mentioned that 93lb weight is going to be an advantage on a smaller bike. Calculate power to weight ratios and a 93lb rider on a 500 is going to go pretty much as fast as a 200 lb rider on a 600. Maybe faster in the twisties. The real world doesn't show up that well on spec sheets.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Try looking for a used 600 Eliminator. They may be hard to find, but they have a low seat height, and a 600cc 4 cylinder engine.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Beth
Registered Member

This past July I took the 3day course..it was only 2 days of riding.I'm 5ft. & probally 100lbs. I bought My hubby an '85 sportster a few yrs. back...I wanted to get my own bike b/c it got boring on the back ~ Due to my size and weight I too had alot of trouble finding, "The One" I bought a Honda Rebel"08 I'm sure from reading I'll get my money's worth.It has given me a learning experience, built my confidence riding while learning.And I must say What I learned in class helped, but riding on the rd. rather than a parking lot is way more different!! A 250 is a GREAT BEGINNER bike.The first day I got it my hubby laid it down and made me pick it up ~ Glad I got a 250 on that day One thing I learned real fast is that on a 250 w/ my weight, the wind gusts, open fields, & big trucks riding past will make me work to keep it steady & keep me on my toes! I think with a person my size and weight the "less is more" would apply. I get high speed (had it at 77mph with ease)on the rebel with my weight...Good luck and keep us posted please
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote