Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Women Riders (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/)
-   -   newbie: simple question (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/14746-newbie-simple-question.html)

lucylacy 03-20-2010 09:25 AM

newbie: simple question

Hi

I am new around here. I am 21 and I live in Malta (a very small island in the Mediterranean) and till now I am only learning and haven't got my license yet.

Here in Malta the way to obtain a motorcycle license is very stupid, but yet economically convenient: we learn on a Peugeot 100 automatic and we are tested on the same one. Yet, once we obtain the license, we can ride manual motorcycles. I find it rather stupid, but that's how it is.

My very simple question is this...since the motorcycle which I am being tested on has that kind of stand which needs to be pushed up and down (not the simple stand in which you easily put it up and down with a kick of your foot), I find problems in pushing this kind of stand up. Does it require much strength? or am I just doing it wrong?

I am sorry if this question might sound stupid, but finding women who ride motorcycles in Malta is quite rare and thus I have no one whom I can ask these 'stupid questions. '

Myself I have a small honda cb50. It has five gears and I am quite used to it in the streets. Obviously its a beginners motorcycle, and once I am used to them I would very much like a proper street bike. Maybe a bandit suzuki or a ninja. But I am not unhappy with this motorcycle; its short, ideal for a beginner and Malta is a very small country , thus I don't have long travel distance problem.

Considering that I am a newbie, I quite have confidence with motorcycles in the street but this stand thing is pulling off my nerves and I am afraid they might fail my license test because of it Please help. heh

Thanks,

Lara

Kenneth_Moore 03-20-2010 11:29 AM

That's called a "centerstand," and they do take a bit of technique to use. A well-designed one will not take a lot of strength to use, just a bit of cooridnation. Most of them have a bar sticking out of one side. You should stand on that bar with one foot (left foot for the left-side bar, right foot for the right-side bar). Push down on the bar with your foot, pull the bike backwards from the handlebar and a strong grabbing point toward the back of the bike, and it should lever itself up.

Until you get the hang of it, have a friend on the other side of the bike hang on to it, so you don't have to worry about dropping it.

sarnali2 03-20-2010 12:21 PM

What Ken said, it doesn't require strength just leverage, push down on the stand while pulling back on the bars and the bike will jump up by it's self.

Barbara 04-06-2010 04:58 PM

Hi All,

This is interesting--I've been out working on a BMW R80, and needed to put it on the center-stand to pull the front tire off. I couldn't do it! I've had well over 50 or 60 bikes in my life, and I could not get that monster up on the center stand!

Finally I did two things: first, I rolled the rear tire up on a 2x4 piece of wood, and secondly, I ignored the foot tab on the center stand and pushed down with my foot on the left-side tang of the stand itself. Up it went, easy as pie.

I'm wondering if it is just that model airhead Beemer, or if I'm losing strength in my twilight years....naw, it must be the bike! :p

So I can understand a person who is fairly new to the sport would have a problem with the center-stand---I've been riding nearly 50 years and I had a problem.....

The stranger 04-10-2010 05:55 AM

Hi, I understand your dilemma, knowing how to put the bike on the centre stand wasn't so straight-forward for me either. I was struggling with my relatively light bike for a while. This video explains exactly what you need to do and the method should work for you (did for me and I'm a weakling):

YouTube - NB's F6550GS - How to Put the Motorcycle on the Centerstand

Here's an alternative which could also work depending on your bike:

YouTube - How to Use a Centerstand

Hope it helps, good luck!