Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
aimycorbeil
Registered Member

Default advice on first bike

Hello!
I just got my license at the end of September (towards end of season here in alberta canada). I am now looking to get my first bike (mom wants hers back). I do NOT want a crotch-rocket...I'm looking for a cruiser...I love the look of the older, skinny front tire models...not a big fan of the fat tank models of today--I am 24 and don't want to look older than I am on it. I don't want a bike that is not gonna keep up with the boys at 120-130km/hr (approx 75 miles/hr)...any suggestions??? thanks a bunch

** should also note that i only have a $5000 budget, so a new harley or victory (prefered bike) is not an option at this point
aimycorbeil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Please read the "New Rider" thread.

What bikes have you looked at already? What do you like?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Decent sized bike narrow tank, tall skinny front wheel, Virago, Intruder, Vulcan (A model not classic), but visit the new rider thread.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Not to throw it out there too often, but check out a late model Triumph Bonneville.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

+1 on Bonneville America or Speedmaster. Cruiser styling with a capable bike that will run rings around those V-twins.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
aimycorbeil
Registered Member

thanks a bunch ladies....the vulcan and intruder are the ones we've been looking at...but people keep telling me that they're hard to ride
Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
aimycorbeil
Registered Member

first--sorry for calling you ladies if you're not a lady..lol...

ok so i was reading the new riders thread---thing is i should mention that although i just got my license i had been learning most of the summer on a cruiser and have even taken some longer trips already, so i'm new, but not that new....i just don't care for the style of bike i learnt on (mom's bike is a Suzuki C50T)--big ol'fat thing...so i'm not sure what to get
Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimycorbeil View Post
first--sorry for calling you ladies if you're not a lady..lol...

ok so i was reading the new riders thread---thing is i should mention that although i just got my license i had been learning most of the summer on a cruiser and have even taken some longer trips already, so i'm new, but not that new....i just don't care for the style of bike i learnt on (mom's bike is a Suzuki C50T)--big ol'fat thing...so i'm not sure what to get
How tall are you? That makes a difference, as well. Also, are you afraid to ride something different than what everyone else is riding? Do you like to go with the pack, or be your own person?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimycorbeil View Post
thanks a bunch ladies....the vulcan and intruder are the ones we've been looking at...but people keep telling me that they're hard to ride
I had a 95 Vulcan 800 (A model) bought it new & just let it go last August, I diddnt think it was hard to ride, but I can pull double the miles on my tourer. I wish I cold've kept the 800 great arround town & short trips, but not great for long days.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
aimycorbeil
Registered Member

i'm 5"6 with a 33" in seam (long legs, short upper body)...i'm all about being my own person--i have plans on what the bike's paint will be like (my fiance owns an automotive shop that also does body work)....everyone around us (people we ride with are 40+ in age) rides the newer big fat bikes...not my style...but they keep telling Bill (my fiance) that that is the only thing suited for me