Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Women Riders (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/)
-   -   advice on first bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/14454-advice-first-bike.html)

jeff10236 04-10-2010 05:07 PM

Don't know if you've made up your mind yet (the last post on the thread is nearly 2 months old), but if you've been learning on your mom's C50 but you want something trimmer, Suzuki makes two options you may want to look at.

The M50 seems to be basically a sportier (cruiser sporty, not sports bike sporty) version of the C50. Same engine, but trimmer design- trimmer tank, trimmer front tire, more athletic look. Do an internet search on reviews and you'll see it seems to be a popular bike. New, it will be well out of your range (esp. if that $5K limit is in Canadian dollars), but you should be able to find something 2-3 years old.

The S50 looks a lot like the old Intruder. Good looking bike, very trim tank and front tire. Same engine as the M/C50, but more of an old school Japanese design. When I sat on one, it was very comfortable. The seating position is a little more upright and less feet forward than other cruisers. Used the prices aren't bad at all, and if you like the look but don't mind slightly older technology, the Intruders (90s and early 2000s) can be found for pretty cheap.

Rissask 05-10-2010 12:50 PM

After tons of research, I just bought my first bike (at 40!), a 650 cc Suzuki Boulevard S40. Nice and light at 350 pounds and low maintenance (single cylinder belt drive).

My husband used to ride a lot but hasn't for about 15 years- he bought a Triumph America. The plan is that we ride these for a year or two and then I will get his bike and he will get a Triumph Thunderbird.

We are planning a long trip into Alberta, over to Fernie, then down into Montana and up back through Glacier and doing the Road to the Sun. I hope this bike is big enough to do this trip comfortably?

Maggie

pushrod 05-10-2010 02:39 PM

Maggie,

It should be fine!

Depending on how you load it for touring, it should work great, maybe only a bit strained at high (70+) speeds.

Kenneth_Moore 05-10-2010 05:32 PM

Pack your gear low and tight; the bike is light for Interstate duty and you don't want to raise the center of gravity. Pay attention to tire wear and air pressure. Make a test-run overnight trip a week before you hit the road for a "shakedown cruise."

Should be a great trip.

Rissask 05-11-2010 10:12 AM

Thanks for the tips, that is great.

We are heading down to southwestern Sask, then into Alberta through the Rockies (Crowsnest Pass) to Fernie, BC, then down into Montana and up through Glacier Park. Planning on taking about 8 or 9 days to do the trip, staying in fleabag motels and stopping at every 'biggest-ball-of-string' attraction we can find.

Anyone see the movie 'One Week'? It's a Canadian motorcycle road trip movie, I highly recommend it. A guy who was diagnosed with a rare and likely fatal cancer sets off on an old kick start Indian from Toronto to British Columbia for a last adventure. Even Americans should like it although it is crammed full of Canuckian references- so long as you love to ride.