Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

We only pile on the wimmens cause they like it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #22
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
A lady friend of mine started on a GS500F, went to a Ninja 650 and has been happy on her Duck 696 for 3 years now. Frankly the 696 is all motorcycle anyone would need for anything but long-distance and 2-up. Sweet bike and easy to handle.
Problem is, my gf likes the CBR 600RR. And she likes bikes with fairings, so I most likely won't be able to convince her to get a naked/standard bike.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #23
Barbara
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
We only pile on the wimmens cause they like it.

So....that's your version of KeMo therapy?

Hi Guys--

Here's the thing: we want more women posting, right? Right. I've raised three boys, not counting being married twice. I'm used to bantering over a beer with guys out in a bike shed, and in that situation if you can't keep up, you get squashed. But lots of women are experimenting with two-wheeled freedom for the first time, or maybe they've only been around sensitive and caring guys....yeah, right. *I'm* not even going for that one.....

My point is simply that if it's going to ever be a Women's board, at least half of the posts should be by women, right? Lots of questions are ones that only experienced riders of either gender can answer, and the information is appreciated, as is the banter. I'm just wondering how to increase the number of women who feel comfortable posting here....that's my whole agenda. Well, that and finding a Four-Valve Rudge...but that's a different story.

And to speak to the original question: I like the Victory dealer here locally---he finds parts for my XS650 '77"D" Yamaha! Victory bikes? Huge--way too large for me. If I was going to have a V-twin, it would be an 883 Harley in a Norton Featherbed frame....now, that's a bike!!

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
Pip the Triumph T140v--(I have "Great Expectations")
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Jaelith the '77 XS650/sidecar
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I'm all for building the discussion board, specifically for women. Barbara, what would you propose?

Want to try an experiment and see how many posts we get in the womens' thread if only women post? I'd be up for that.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
So....that's your version of KeMo therapy?

Hi Guys--

Here's the thing: we want more women posting, right? Right. I've raised three boys, not counting being married twice. I'm used to bantering over a beer with guys out in a bike shed, and in that situation if you can't keep up, you get squashed. But lots of women are experimenting with two-wheeled freedom for the first time, or maybe they've only been around sensitive and caring guys....yeah, right. *I'm* not even going for that one.....

My point is simply that if it's going to ever be a Women's board, at least half of the posts should be by women, right? Lots of questions are ones that only experienced riders of either gender can answer, and the information is appreciated, as is the banter. I'm just wondering how to increase the number of women who feel comfortable posting here....that's my whole agenda. Well, that and finding a Four-Valve Rudge...but that's a different story.

And to speak to the original question: I like the Victory dealer here locally---he finds parts for my XS650 '77"D" Yamaha! Victory bikes? Huge--way too large for me. If I was going to have a V-twin, it would be an 883 Harley in a Norton Featherbed frame....now, that's a bike!!
I think it's a great idea. But only if women can post only on the women's forum and none of the ones the men are on. Fair is fair after all.

Or is this board supposed to sport a modern feminist double standard? You know. Like the PGA/WPGA. Women can go on the PGA but men can't reciprocate on the WPGA. That sort of "equal rights".
Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #26
Barbara
Super Moderator

Hmmm...good question. No, I don't think I want to limit it to women, for a couple of reasons. First, there aren't that many of us here yet. I don't think we could sustain a viable board. Second, most of the available information comes from guys. Just a fact of life, and it shouldn't be ignored.

I just watch the threads, and like all threads, most deteriorate with time and posting, and somewhat like a snake with a broken back, they twist and turn all over the place. When one gets down to the usual suspects plowing already turned earth in an attempt at one-upmanship, then I might make mention of it. Just a gentle nudge, y'know?

Most women tend to sit and listen, and learn quietly. Some guys, on the other hand, *have* to expound loudly their opinions, and challenge anyone who disagrees. An interesting dynamic, and one which is fascinating to sit back and watch, but somewhat daunting to some female riders. I would simply ask that the guys bear that in mind, that's all......for now. Und if zat doezn't vork, ve vill conzider instituting schtricter meazurhes!!

To be serious for a sec: we think differently, thank God. If we all keep that in mind, I bet we can all play in the same sandbox and still like each other....

Any other women have thoughts about this stuff? Please.....

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
The unnamed 1979 XS 650

Last edited by Barbara : 02-24-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

Wecome, Brothers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4384654581_7235b2325f_o.jpg (14.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #28
Barbara
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I think it's a great idea. But only if women can post only on the women's forum and none of the ones the men are on. Fair is fair after all.

Or is this board supposed to sport a modern feminist double standard? You know. Like the PGA/WPGA. Women can go on the PGA but men can't reciprocate on the WPGA. That sort of "equal rights".

Hmmm..I never understood that, nor do I understand the YMCA/YWCA thing. There are things that are not in question, like upper body strength. However, I think in most areas, men and women can compete, enjoy, and share the fun, and riding bikes is one of those areas. A lot of us are shorter, and manufacturers are noting that. Cool. Electric starters are very nice on bigger bikes, or large singles, as my right leg will attest.

No, I think the more we share, the more we will have in common. I just want to make certain that women get to post on the women's board. Now, if you guys want a "Men's Board", well, go for it! Actually, that might be a good idea.....after all, fair is fair.

At any rate, the discourse is good.....

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

One comment about posting in the Women Rider-Forum; When I log on to MO, I usually just hit the "New Posts" button at the top - and any posts that come up are not immediately obvious as to which forum they're in.

Another thing: I also never really think "I'm replying to a Man/Woman/Transvestite/Democrat/Whatever" ('cept in the case of Ken!) when I post-up a reply to someone, especially a "newbie". About half the time, I'll have replied in a generic "some guys do blah-blah blah", and find out later it was a Woman (when it would have been more obvious if I'd noticed the forum heading).

So, I'm willing to "not post" or tone-down my keyboard in the Women's forum (on purpose!) - but if I slip-up, understand it's an "accident".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Hmmm..I never understood that, nor do I understand the YMCA/YWCA thing. There are things that are not in question, like upper body strength. However, I think in most areas, men and women can compete, enjoy, and share the fun, and riding bikes is one of those areas. A lot of us are shorter, and manufacturers are noting that. Cool. Electric starters are very nice on bigger bikes, or large singles, as my right leg will attest.

No, I think the more we share, the more we will have in common. I just want to make certain that women get to post on the women's board. Now, if you guys want a "Men's Board", well, go for it! Actually, that might be a good idea.....after all, fair is fair.

At any rate, the discourse is good.....
I'm mainly funnin'. If keeping men out of the women's forum would bring more ladies to the forums then I' m fine with that. I even still open doors for my wife after 37 years.