Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
flashbabe
Registered Member

Default Which Harley is right for me?

I started riding 6 yrs ago on my first & only bike--a Honda Shadow 750 which my husband bought new for me because it was such an easy handling bike & the right size for me--I'm 5'3" & 125 lbs. I love the bike (great handling, fits me well & is comfortable, etc.). However, I always wanted a Harley (or Harley custom) bike. I'd like one fast enough to keep up with my husband who rides a Honda VTX 1800cc (too big for me), such as a 96cu in or 103 screamin eagle, but one I can ride comfortably. Any suggestions???
flashbabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
SmokeU
Registered Member

If you want a Harley that keeps up with a VTX1800 get a V-Rod or Buell. Otherwise they aren't exactly fast.

SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

A Vrod would be sweet and H-D even makes a peg-shortening kit to help you reach the forward controls.

Other than that, a nice Dyna with the 96" engine should have no problems keeping up unless he rides like a total maniac.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

A Sportster 1200 will easily "keep up" with a VTX1800. The 1800 might had a slight staight line acceleration advantage but as soon as the road curves in any direction the Sporty will be laughing.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
flashbabe
Registered Member

Question Which Harley?

Thanks to all who answered me...I appreciate the input. I have another question: anyone out there that has actually ridden various Harleys/customs that could vouch for their performance/handling? Among some of the bikes I am considering (I have some time to think about it) are the Thunder Mountain Choppers (i.e., the "Firestone") or, as I mentioned before a used screamin' eagle fatboy. Now my husband wants me to consider the new Honda Fury...? Anyone out there with real experience riding any of these bikes?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Don't listen to your husband.

Honestly, the first thing you should remember is don't listen to friends, family ect.

Your set on a cruiser right? How about the Triumph Speedmaster?

Triumph Motorcycles - Speedmaster

family member bought one last year and loves his and it doesnt look like every other harley-clone cruiser on the road.

As for the Honda Fury, this site did a review of it rather recently, check it out.

2010 Honda Fury Review - Motorcycle.com

Idk i looks like a big bike....too big(long) for my taste
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Handling. Big Twins and Choppers by their very nature are not great handling bikes because of the weight and long wheelbases. From the viewpoint of sport riding, that is. On the other hand it's hard to find a factory bike any more that has treacherous handling characteristics. So it depends on what you want. If you want a more handy bike that has the chopper look you might be better off looking at the Triumph America over any of the V-twins.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

1200 Sporty or Speedmaster both should fit the bill, specially if you can find a 1200 Roadster version of the Sporty. Your hubby will be sticking you with that pig of a Honda and taking your bike

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
flashbabe
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Hey, is it true that the Dyna Low Rider is no longer being produced????
Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

How about that XR1200?