Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Women Riders (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/)
-   -   Good Starter Bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/women-riders/12884-good-starter-bike.html)

shaghig 08-18-2009 09:35 PM

Good Starter Bike

Hello, I just finished my MSF course this past weekend and am looking to get a bike for me. I'm 5'3" and weigh 115 lbs. I found a nice Honda Shadow on craigslist and went to check it out today. Beautiful bike, however, I didn't buy it cause felt like I was just jumping in too quickly.

I LOVE cruisers and would like to get a 'cruiser' type of bike. Any suggestions and/or recommendations on a good 'starter' bike for me? I'm also interested in checking out the Yamaha VStar's.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

pushrod 08-19-2009 06:40 AM

shagdig,

Pack a lunch and jump into the New Riders "sticky".

Lots and lots of good info on bikes and gear in that thread.

Welcome to the Site!

newagetwotone 09-07-2009 05:44 PM

dude, go away, no one wants your ads.

Anyways. As said above, read the new rider sticky. Alot of people find the looks of cruisers appealing but after riding for any distance find them uncomfortable. The feat out position of cruisers may seem appealing but it puts ALL of your weight on your lower back and hips, that is every bump into your back.

If you like the cruiser look you might like the look of this:

The classic standard puts your feet under you, and reaching foward to the bars while sitting up both put weight in other places. Your feet under you puts weight on your feet, putting the bars in the place they are on standards puts weight into your arms and shoulders. So your weight is spread out all over, rather than just in your lowback.

The_AirHawk 09-07-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 223467)

That's-a one-a SPICY Meat-a Ball!

newagetwotone 09-07-2009 07:38 PM

I'd love one... that is if i could balance anymore.

It is a gorgeous piece of work eh?

The_AirHawk 09-07-2009 07:44 PM

Y'know, when I was growin' up - a "Starter Bike" was one you didn't have to kick-over to make it run: you just pressed a button.

Kenneth_Moore 09-08-2009 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagetwotone (Post 223467)
dude, go away, no one wants your ads.

Anyways. As said above, read the new rider sticky. Alot of people find the looks of cruisers appealing but after riding for any distance find them uncomfortable. The feat out position of cruisers may seem appealing but it puts ALL of your weight on your lower back and hips, that is every bump into your back.

If you like the cruiser look you might like the look of this:

Can one of you mods ban that google a-hole and delete his posts?
Isn't that V7 Classic scha-weet? I want one; even called the dealer and asked him to call me when they came in. I may do something stupid like sell the Strom and go buy one once I get this house buying thing done.

newagetwotone 09-08-2009 08:20 PM

WTF? stfu &gtfo

Bananas! 09-28-2009 11:57 AM

Hey Shaghig,
My wife is exactly your height and weight. When we went shopping for her I didn't want to saddle her with something to small ( she has to be albe to run with a FJR 1300 ) and at the same time not have her on something to heavy or to tall. The Shadow and the 650 V-Star didn't have the performance we were looking for. To make a long story short, she ended up buying a used 1998 750 Honda Magna. The bike has proven to be durable and reliable and is capable of going down the road with the best of them, and is capable of smoking motorcycles nearly twice its size. It's a mid size bike that you won't soon outgrow, if ever. She's had hers for five years and 40k miles.
They can be had for cheap. Another twist on the Magna thing is check out the Super Magnas'. They are now a collectors item.

Good Luck with whatever you end up with.

Bananas!

seruzawa 09-28-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananas! (Post 224935)
Hey Shaghig,
My wife is exactly your height and weight. When we went shopping for her I didn't want to saddle her with something to small ( she has to be albe to run with a FJR 1300 ) and at the same time not have her on something to heavy or to tall. The Shadow and the 650 V-Star didn't have the performance we were looking for. To make a long story short, she ended up buying a used 1998 750 Honda Magna. The bike has proven to be durable and reliable and is capable of going down the road with the best of them, and is capable of smoking motorcycles nearly twice its size. It's a mid size bike that you won't soon outgrow, if ever. She's had hers for five years and 40k miles.
They can be had for cheap. Another twist on the Magna thing is check out the Super Magnas'. They are now a collectors item.

Good Luck with whatever you end up with.

Bananas!

Yes, but avoid the Magnas built before the 1987 Super. Those had serious tranny and camshaft issues plus too small radiators. They had a strong tendency to destroy trannies and camshafts. The question is when, not if.