Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 07-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
michelle_a1
Registered Member

Default Can anyone recommend a bike?

I have an 18Km commute to work along a very poor bus/subway route. I've been driving to work but I'd like something much more fuel efficient for day to day.
I'd like to pick up a standard or small touring bike (Honda Rebel?) for this. I rode a lot of dirt bikes as a kid/teen but haven't driven one in many years. Can anyone recommend a good bike for a day to day commute that could also handle transition to the highway and some longer distance touring?
I'm not a fan of sport bikes or the forward lean. I like the upright seating of standard bikes and I like look of old-style standards and touring bikes. I'm not really into the "shiny gadgets" so a naked bike is just fine for me.

Cheers
p.s. I don't like scooters.
michelle_a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Buy a scooter.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Barbara
Super Moderator

Hi Michelle,

Forget the scooter. If you don't like them, you won't ride it anyway. There are a couple of points, however, to consider. Do you have covered storage--a garage or something--to keep the bike in the Winter? Can you and do you want to work on it? How much do you want to spend?

All things to think about before you give money to someone and ride off on a new (or used) bike.

Something else to consider is height. Lots of bikes are just too tall for many women, so that might be a factor, since you'll want to be comfortable on the bike. Something like the Rebel would work, I would think, but I'd also suggest going round to several local dealers and just sitting on and checking out their bikes, new and used. If you have women friends who ride, talk to them about it.

Once you decide on a bike, check out Craigslist and eBay and your local paper and see what you can find. If you are at all like me, the search will be half the fun, and bringing home a bargain will be *SO* neat!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
Pip the Triumph T140v--(I have "Great Expectations")
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Jaelith the '77 XS650/sidecar
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hmmm...18 mile commute, hasn't ridden in a long time...

Get a small dual-sport like a older XL250 Honda, 230, etc.

They're easy to pick up after you drop it (and you will drop it if you're a new rider) and tame enough no to kill you when you twist the throttle. Reliable as anvils too.

After a few miles in the saddle you can graduate to something bigger.

You might want to start riding in the dirt too, a lot of good habits are gained from dirt riding. And dirt is a lot softer than cement.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Actually before i was just being a ****. just wondering, why dont you like scooters? most people i ask either have no answer or say "they're for fags" or something stupid like that.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Honda Nighthawk 250 - a standard, fast enought to keep up with local traffic, excellent mpg's, traditional upright sitting. If you don't want a 250cc bike, look at the Ninja 500 or find an older Honda Hawk. You're welcome!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
michelle_a1
Registered Member

Default Cheers!

Thanks for the info!
There are a couple of dealers in my area, I'll check out what they have. Most of the reviews available are for very large bikes and I'm not looking for something that can kill me just yet.

BTW, Barbara:
I'm just shy of 5'9" and long legged so height isn't a huge concern in a bike. Power, weight and handling are the bigger issues.
I don't have a particular budget but I'm not looking to spend more than $5K (Canadian) all included to start, and I would be just fine with a good condition used machine.
I do have a garage & shop and I would definitely work on my own bike with a bit of training, my Dad would help me there and my son would love help out (he's 6).

Why don't I like scooters? I'll admit, mostly for the image. I don't like the look and to me they scream "Lululemon-wearing, frappacino-drinking soccer mom!"
Not for me.

My goal is to start small, get used to riding on pavement and work my way up to something shiny, big(ish) and beautiful...
michelle_a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

But what if you are a "Lululemon-wearing, frappacino-drinking soccer mom"?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
newagetwotone
Registered Member

YEA! and really, the big scooters dont look like vespas, have you seen a Burgamn 400/650? in person that is, it looks damn good, and doesnt scream scooter at all.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Izzat th' one wit' th' funky "power folding mirrors"?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote