Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 05-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Wyldblu
Registered Member

Default Just plain scared

Hi,
I am new here.
I am a 50 yr old woman who has been around bikers and bikes my whole adult life. I have always rode on the back, and finally decided to take the motorcycle safety course and get my license. My fiance even bought me a 2003 Sportster as a gift, however, that was 6 months after the course and I didn't have a bike in all that time to practice on. So, I have been taking it to a local empty parking lot to practice. I have had a friend take it there for me as I am petrified to ride it on the road.

I have practiced in the parking lot and I still am more afraid then having fun. This is very depressing. My fiance currently lives in Holland and isn't here to help me with this either. I road it on a dirt road when I first got it and promptly dumped it in the dirt. I was ok...a bit banged up and the bike was fine, but I am having this terrible fear with it.

I would appreciate any help you can give. I really want to be able to ride it on the road, but I just can't see that happening right at the moment and wonder if I should just sell it...although that would break my heart!

Help!
-Blu-(who IS blue at the moment)
Wyldblu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Two choices, Get someone to come with you that already rides to just sit there with you. Remember, you ARE going to dump the bike. it happens, I dont know how many times i've hit the ground (i rode off road for years, i cant ride currently due to back problems) It happens, it scares the crap out of you but its better to do it in an empty parking lot than at 60mph down the high way. Just practice lots, slow speeds and maybe set up cones or something of the sort, make your self a course to drive through.

The other choice is to go sell the bike and forget it. You DON'T want to ride scared. Bad idea, my first hill climb sent me backwards down a hill because i was scared, same thing with the first time i crossed water on a motorcycle. Practice in your yard (its a sporty it shouldn't be too bad) in parking lots or somewhere else that is empty.

A couple other ideas. Do you own a bicycle? (ill get yelled at for this but....) ride it lots, take it out for a while it might help you. The other thing that comes to mind is that the Sporty is NOT the best starter bike. Its heavy O_O. Maybe buy a BEATEN old Honda rebel/250 nighthawk or Savage 650 and if you dump it you dont have to worry about the bike. The Rebel and nighthawk are alot lighter.

it may not interest you but i tell lots of friends of mine to start off on a dirt bike. Look at an old honda CL or CB 100cc. Its a little 10hp bike, it'll hit 55 down hill with a tail wind if your lucky, its VERY light my 13 year old brother can pick up easily. and you CAN get plates for it to go ride around on the back streets to practice before you get back on the Sporty.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Park the Harley. Pick up a cheap scooter or small motorcycle and ride one of those until you feel absolutely confident. You are starting on too high of a gradient.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
mugwump58
Registered Member

I really should look at what forum things are posted in. I replied in the other.

All the above are the perfect advice. Park the Sporty, for now.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Wyldblu
Registered Member

Sorry about that...didn't know which forum would best suit my question, so I double posted. Thank you though!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
ejis
Founding Member

You could always take the MSF course again - nothing wrong with that. Alternately, you could find one of the instructors and contract independently for some of their time. All the other advice is, of course, very good.

Good luck - and don't give up until you want to. But don't ride scared, it's no fun and it's dangerous.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Wyldblu
Registered Member

I really like the idea of finding an instructor for some private time too. I am gonna see about downsizing to a 250 something or other...but if not possible, I am gonna see if I can find someone for that.

-Blu-(wanting my face in the wind...on my OWN bike!)
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Who is the man in the White Vest?
I'm getting nervous, becoming a Mess!
Is He the doctor's man to take me away?
Or the same Damn Demon from yesterday?
Waking up is virtually impossible -
Something in this story won't let me GO!
You know I'm shakin' and I'm feeling sick -
I guess I'm gonna need a Vodka quick!

Momma's lace and whiskey on the top shelf -
Somehow they got caught up in my dream......
Monsters on my right and cobwebs on my left -
Scary Man standin' right in front of Me!

Hey man, I think I like being Scared -
An' I wish you all were There!

Tomorrow, if I get my strength, I'll put my Daddy's Gun to use!
I hate it! I hate it! - feels like I'm Drowning -
The Man's tied me up and I think he's Frowning!

Black Widow is his favorite bite -
Why does the Creature cling so tight?
Makes Her crawl on my face and neck -
God, the Man drives me a nervous wreck!

Why am I starting to like this?
You know - He hasn't hurt me yet......
But it's different now, just a whim -
Maybe I'm becoming his pet?

Hey man, I think I like being Scared -
An' I wish you all were There!
Man I really, really think, really think that I think; I like being Scared!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-26-2009 at 09:49 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Vonov
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldblu View Post

-Blu-(wanting my face in the wind...on my OWN bike!)
Blu, your last sentence says it all...you WILL get there...just downsize for the time being...and if/when you DO get back on the Sporty, remember what I said about torque in the other thread...btw, if you just GOTTA have a Harley, and bought the bike from a dealer, you might want to consider going in and explaining your problem, and see if they'll let you trade for a used Dyna/Low Rider, or something along those lines, that sits lower and has a lower CG...my daughter weighs a buck thirty, and she handles her Dyna better than I do.
Something I forgot to mention...my daughter's former boyfriend owned the last Sporty she threw her leg over, and I was always careful not to get too close to him when doing a slow roll up to a light, because he'd almost always get the wobblies at low speed; he wasn't in any danger of dropping it, it just took a little more input on the handlebars to maintain his balance, and he was a VERY experienced rider, (those in Chattanooga have probably met him, he runs a bike mag down there)
and I've since observed the same thing with a lot of other Sportster owners.
Vonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Wyldblu
Registered Member

Well...I am gonna go look at a 250 Honda Rebel this weekend. Maybe it will be just the ticket I need to gain my confidence back. I am not ready to trade in or sell the Sporty just yet. I am gonna wait until I feel ready to ride a bigger bike and see how I feel about it before I decide to do that.
Hopefully it won't take too long to get it all figured out.

-Blu-(on a long, strange trip)