Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Benjamin Daymon
Registered Member

Default Girls Gone Into the Wild: Women in the Outdoors

Following is a link to Associated Content and my article about women venturing into outdoor activities traditionally considered the realm of men-only. Article features info on issues pertaining to women motorcyclists and hunters.

Girls Gone into the Wild: Women in the Great Outdoors - Associated Content

I hope you'll take a look and feel free to comment. Also, if anyone is interested in providing input, I'm also working on an article focusing on finding and choosing the right/proper fitting gear.

Thanks,

Ben
Benjamin Daymon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Is this really unusual enough these days to even make note of it? It's 2009 for krissakes; women's lib was old news a couple decades ago.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Barbara
Super Moderator

Hi Guys,

As long as there are CD's called "Girls Gone Wild", there is a need for an article called "Girls Gone Into The Wild." True enough, it is 2009--in most places, anyway--but I still get sidelong looks when I buy .45-70 ammo. (I love my Trapdoor!) It's not so bad in bike shops now, though. When I started riding, there were articles in national magazines--Cycle or Cycle World--about the novelty of a woman working behind a parts counter at a dealership! Seriously.....

The relationship between men and women is convoluted, interesting, evolving and at best just a teensie bit bizarre. It makes it more fun to talk about it.....at least I think so. And before anyone says that none of that is true, I have just one question: have *you* been called a **** just because you rode a bike?

Sitting down, she said, "I rest my case..."

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
Pip the Triumph T140v--(I have "Great Expectations")
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Jaelith the '77 XS650/sidecar
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Barbara
Super Moderator

............ahhh. Happily, the censor doesn't like the word "s lut". Nor do I, and I didn't like being called one.....although it was a long time ago...

Sunnier times....

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Doesn't matter when it happened, it's still dead wrong.

But, I gotta ask, was it a Harley/Brit thing?

Or had you already waxed his/their asses in a race?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

People call me a "slu+" all the time. Is that bad?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Barbara
Super Moderator

Well, I didn't like it---seems to me that it involved alcohol and *not* waxing someone's ass....

A lot depends on how words are used--the inflection you can't duplicate on a computer. I've been called a b-itch by my best friend, and it was funny, but it gets twitchy from a stranger, especially when you can't tell if they are smiling or not.....

Just one more way computers mess with us and try to sabotage human interaction.....

Britney the BSA
Big John the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Gemini the BSA/Triumph
The unnamed 1979 XS 650
Old 05-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I've never been called a "S|ut", but I saw painted on the side of a garage in this podunk-town I once lived in "LoRa B is A SLOOT"(sic).

It's still there, along with an egregiously mis-spelled racial slur on the side of the High-School building (that I will not repeat again here, for I was once nearly banned, even though I was merely mocking the Ignorance and Stupidity of the Cracker-ass townsfolk; apparently, even Idiot Redneck Crackers are a "protected minority")
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Benjamin Daymon
Registered Member

Barb,

Thanks for your comments. I surely didn't write the article to be anti-feminism or anything like that. I wrote it more as a celebration of the fact that more women are getting out there and enjoying some great activities that used to be seen as "guys only".

Thankfully, that's not the case any longer, but until roughly half the people riding motorcycles and taking to the turkey woods are women, then there's a disparity that can't be ignored.

Thanks!

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Hi Guys,

As long as there are CD's called "Girls Gone Wild", there is a need for an article called "Girls Gone Into The Wild." True enough, it is 2009--in most places, anyway--but I still get sidelong looks when I buy .45-70 ammo. (I love my Trapdoor!) It's not so bad in bike shops now, though. When I started riding, there were articles in national magazines--Cycle or Cycle World--about the novelty of a woman working behind a parts counter at a dealership! Seriously.....

The relationship between men and women is convoluted, interesting, evolving and at best just a teensie bit bizarre. It makes it more fun to talk about it.....at least I think so. And before anyone says that none of that is true, I have just one question: have *you* been called a **** just because you rode a bike?

Sitting down, she said, "I rest my case..."
Benjamin Daymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Thankfully, that's not the case any longer, but until roughly half the people riding motorcycles and taking to the turkey woods are women, then there's a disparity that can't be ignored."

How about not worrying about what types of people are doing what, and just let them enjoy what they want to do without head counts? Do we need percentages for everything these days?