Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

You should have no problem selling it, itsa very popular bike. I just hate seeing people having to go through 2 to get the right one. In this climate its not condusive to your pocket book, even if you can afford it. What are your stats?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicutammy View Post
A friend of mine rides one and swear by it. It is a guy though and I did not listen to my instinct. Last time for that!!! I want to be a safe and comfortable rider on a bike that fits me. Anyone want to buy Wee strom??
That is the worst way of deciding on a bike. If you have the money buy yourself a cheap bike that fits you well so you can learn how to ride properly without fear of dropping it or it being too big for you. It doesn't have to be a nice looking bike, just cheap and small. Since you seem to be a smaller/shorter rider you might want to look at a used Kawasaki Ninja 250r/EX250. There is also the Honda Nighthawk that is also a 250 and should fit you better then the V-Strom.

If you like cruisers there is the Yamaha Virago 250 and Honda Rebel in a 250. All of the bikes I have mentioned have been around for many, many, many years and you should be able to find them very cheap.

Once you learn to be comfortable on a bike and grow confident than get back on the V-Strom and see what you think. Or, just sell it now and find something that fits you and ignore overly biased friends and idiotic sales people.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
pushrod
Founding Member

nicutammy,

Another option is to find someone who knows how to ride, and get some coaching.

There are a bunch of folks out there that tiptoe their bikes. The idea is to become comfortable with the balance of the bike. There are very few folks that can muscle a bike upright.

One big tip is to keep your eyes up and your head level. If you look down, you'll probably fall over. This is the same technique as looking where you want to go in a corner.

What I'm saying is, if you like the machine, learn to ride it. You'll have to learn how to ride any bike you buy.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
mugwump58
Registered Member

KM is a Strom Trooper I'm suprised he hasn't chimed in here.

Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin Lowering may, again I say may be an answer. This site will provide you all the experts, just ask 'em.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
KM is a Strom Trooper I'm suprised he hasn't chimed in here.

Stromtrooper.com - Powered by vBulletin Lowering may, again I say may be an answer. This site will provide you all the experts, just ask 'em.
You're right, my damn job is cutting into my motorcycle.com time.

The Strom is a pretty big bike, for a new rider or anyone else. The seat is high, it's long, it's heavy. There are some dog bones that will drop it a bit, and a couple of low seats from various makers. But it's really not a beginner bike. Even if the weight and height didn't bother you, if you drop it, a lot of plastic is going to break. The turnsignals alone cost $72.83. I've heard.

If it's what you've got to work with, then see SVRacingparts for some frame sliders; they'll pay for themself the first time you drop it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find it to be an excellent bike. Then you can get the DL1000 and have some real fun!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
newagetwotone
Registered Member

I hear ya... well not right now, the big boss is out of town, today we played pong and what not at work...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
pigmywolf
Registered Member

BrowningBAR had very good advice. I might also add a small dualsport bike to the list, such as a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, Yamaha TW200 or Suzuki DR200. These all have relatively low seat heights and are very forgiving if dropped.

When I decided to ride again after 30 years, (I'm 5'3") I picked up a Sherpa, took a MSF class and spent a year riding it around town and getting comfortable. I then ended up purchasing a BMW f650GS(factory lowered). After owning a number of other bikes, including the SV650 (which I also liked very much), I've kept this one for the last 7 years and put over 40,000 miles on it, riding all over North America. This bike is also available with ABS, which is a nice plus.

Everyone drops bikes, don't get flustered by this. It's only a matter of when, not if.

It sounds like you're doing the right things. It's good to have a small enough bike so you can concentrate on your skills and not on managing the motorcycle. It wouldn't hurt to take another MSF class this summer and reinforce your skills again.

Stay safe and have fun!

Deb
pigmywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
danygard
Registered Member

Default Graduated to Suzuki S40 (aka Savage 650)

Try the Suzuki S40. I started riding short, old, scared. Listened to hubby & owned 2 inappropriately big/heavy bikes. Against his best judgement I got a Honda Rebel 250. That bike taught me to ride because I could flat foot it & whip it around to experience all the laws of physics that act on an MC rider. After 1 year, I just graduated to the Suzuki S40. Same low inseam as the Rebel, but heavier & more powerful (not as heavy as yours though). Although I prefer the Honda's more refined ride (Savage was an apt name) it is the most logical next bike up for me.
danygard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Neal
Founding Member

My 2 cents. Keep the wee strom. its a good second bike but not a good beginner bike. Find a good used EX500. They are plentiful and affordable (or a GS500). When you feel comfortable, try the DL again. And rather than take the beginner class again,take the Intermediate class with the EX500. Good luck.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote