Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #31
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
. The second thing is that it isn't 'her' baby. It would be 'mine' too if I was the father, which gives me just as much right so assess a risk as she does . . . .
That is a good point. She should talk to the father. But you still miss the point - it's her choice, not YOURS, whether she should ride. Period. And the point of talking about other risk, such as bicycling or cooking, is that people make different choices what risks to take during their lives (or pregnancies.) Where do you draw the line? What risks are acceptable and what are not? And who makes that decision? It's the woman herself.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"

Last edited by sachiwilson : 02-15-2009 at 01:36 PM.
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #32
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Wow, ok... wow.

Sorry to say this because usually i wouldn't but usually you have good advice...

I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever. Wonderfully horrible advice.
What? Do you disagree she should make her own choice?

Go read my "advice" again and think.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #33
newagetwotone
Registered Member

She also has the choice to shove a coat hanger up....

or stab herself in the stomache

I have the right to make a choice to go to my boss and pi$$ on his head or to go into a mcdonalds and unleash a spray of bullets too!

Seriously:
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No YOU missed the point......again. She said this:

"another problem: I'm pregnant! should I wait till after to think about a motorcycle? or will it be harder to start when I have a baby?
I would love to hear your advice and recommendations."

So she got some advice and recommendations from people here that are much more experienced than her and apparently much smarter than you. You, of course, had to take a shot at the men that responded, as if they actually did something wrong in doing so. I wonder how long you would take to edit that post if the reverse were true? Bout 2 seconds I bet. I draw the line at doing something for your own pleasure that puts the baby at risk, which doesn't include normal living activities, but DOES include dangerous and unnecessary ones. Since I have two children of my own, I would ALWAYS put their safety before my pleasure. NOBODY was going to endanger them including me. That is the SMART thing to do. If the baby died while you were sleeping is a much different sense of guilt than if you lost a child because you got injured riding a motorcycle. Do I really even need to explain this?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It's true I think you guys are off the mark on this one, but I'm not particularly leery of disagreeing with women, either. Frankly, I don't think you can simply hear "baby" and say that some woman can't ride. I'd ask her to look at her fitness and strength, her overall health, her current activity levels, what sort of riding she wants to do, and what kind of bike she'd like to get once she passes the test. If a woman is weak or unfit or has poor balance, that would be one thing. If she is fit and strong, and she knows the risks, why not? There's nothing particularly strenuous about motorcycling, unless you need to pick up the bike, so I'd suggest to a pregnant rider that she consider a light, low powered bike if she wanted to ride. A scooter under 150 cc would be about right. One of the little 250s would be acceptable.

The risk to the baby is certainly something to consider, but we all consider those risks. You, LR, continued to ride after your kids were born, I assume. So did I (I wasn't the birth mom - my partner was.) Are you going to pay attention to anyone who claims you're a bad father because you did not put your kids first? My partner, on the other hand, quit riding. Her choice, not mine. We make choices all the time in life that benefit us and not our babies or children. As I said, every woman has the right to make those choices. Nothing idiotic about that at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #36
newagetwotone
Registered Member

He wasn't carrying in a baby in his belly when he whipped out.

If you can't see the differnce and have to make this about sex and nothing else than maybe your a little too jaded by the whole uber left womens rights crap.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #37
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I draw the line at doing something for your own pleasure that puts the baby at risk, which doesn't include normal living activities, but DOES include dangerous and unnecessary ones. Since I have two children of my own, I would ALWAYS put their safety before my pleasure. NOBODY was going to endanger them including me.
Very good point; however, where do you draw the line? What is the difference between an unborn baby and a 10 y/o child... or a 17 y/o child at that? Do you think all minors should not be allowed to ride as passengers on motorcycles? Personally, I see this (adults riding bikes with children as passengers) down here and it scares me. I think a person has the right to chose the risk of riding for themselves. I'm not sold on the right to convey that risk onto your children.

Then again, what do you do if a motorcycle is your primary means of transportation?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #38
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Then again, what do you do if a motorcycle is your primary means of transportation?
SIDE CAR!

http://www.cyberscooter.it/sx/images/cart_sidecar.jpg
Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #39
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #40
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
So, is the Wife the one in the dress...............?

Wait - Nevermind.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote