Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
stormcat
Registered Member

Smile Hello all!

Hello everyone. I've been riding for two years now, and have an '08 DR200se for off-road fun, and an '07 Ninja 500R (aka EX500) for the streets. I'm currently looking at an '09 CBR600RR for July.

I'm 36-years-old and a PhD Student, so I'm in no way a squid or a noob. I'm here to learn from all of you, and teach anything I might know that can help!

I just left the Ninja specific motorcycle forum I was on for the past 8 or so months because of constant sexist comments and the insistence of many that women simply "can't ride." Because apparently riding requires the use of a penis? LOL.

So I thought I would seek out a women's forum to abate any further unwelcoming commentary. I hope this is the place to be!
stormcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Welcome! There are a few women here. Glad you've joined us!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

While there are those who equate motorcycles to putting a large and powerful appendage between one's legs, you'll rarely see reference to that sort of nonsense here.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Girls can't ride, eh? Sounds like some squids got shredded by some chick.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Welcome to the madness, StormCat!

If you hang around, you'll find this a fairly entertaining place to visit.

And, you'll find the regulars tolerable. Except maybe Ken, when he's off his meds.

If you find the site a bit difficult to navigate, it's not you; it is hard to get around. The best thing to do is hit the 'New Post' button.

pr

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Girls can't ride, eh? Sounds like some squids got shredded by some chick.
Fantastic Photo! Excellent use of Randy Quaid. I'll have to find a good Clark photo.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

There we go.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

The first thing you need to adress is the cost of insuring it. I would say your target is in the $600 annual range but more likely you'll be dealing with middle $800. If that makes the swtich worth it I could think of worse bikes than the CBR. I haven't ridden the 09 model but from the reviews I'd say they were very nice. If the insurance isn't worth it then scout out a SV650S with lower fairing kit. You'll spend about $1800 less than the CBR and be able find insurance in the $400-$600 annual range. Make sure the bike shop sets the sag on the bike before you leave the shop- no matter the bike. Tell them the type of riding you'll be doing to sort the suspension for your style. Then find a suspension book and read up. The more you know the more you'll enjoy the ride. BTW- glad you joined us.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Fantastic Photo! Excellent use of Randy Quaid. I'll have to find a good Clark photo.
Speaking of penis's.. I never could stand that clown, what an over rated schmuck.

At any rate, welcome Stormcat I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. As it happens I grew up in Quebec which as you know is near Newfoundland except of course that Newfies are for the most part rational and reasonable and Froggies unfortunatly are not...I still eat kippers all the time though, and have been known to put velveta and gravy on my pomme de terre frits on occasion....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
stormcat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The first thing you need to adress is the cost of insuring it. I would say your target is in the $600 annual range but more likely you'll be dealing with middle $800. If that makes the swtich worth it I could think of worse bikes than the CBR. I haven't ridden the 09 model but from the reviews I'd say they were very nice. If the insurance isn't worth it then scout out a SV650S with lower fairing kit. You'll spend about $1800 less than the CBR and be able find insurance in the $400-$600 annual range. Make sure the bike shop sets the sag on the bike before you leave the shop- no matter the bike. Tell them the type of riding you'll be doing to sort the suspension for your style. Then find a suspension book and read up. The more you know the more you'll enjoy the ride. BTW- glad you joined us.

Hmmm... the insurance really doesn't matter to me. As it is, I'm paying about $900-$1000 annually for the two bikes I have, so to pay that for one bike is fine with me.
Of course, that's just PLPD + Fire/Theft on the two. PLPD is the cheapest, and I didn't bother with Collision because the cost is astronomical. Provided I can purchase the CBR out-right and don't have to finance it, I can skip Collision on it.

While I would like an '09 CBR600 for my next ride, I realize that $12,500 MSRP pre-tax and freight may not be in the budget come July. I'd rather skip financing, and if it's not possible, I will buy used. And if I cannot find a good used CBR, I would be happy to go for a well maintained GSX-R600 provided it's no older than 2004. And of course, it would look delicious with the addition of aftermarket Rizla fairing!

Thanks for the welcomes, folks!