Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Triumph

Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Animal Mother
Registered Member

Question Daytona 955i - Pillion/touring capability? Comments please.

Hi all

I currently ride a ZZR600 both singly and 2 up, both blasting lanes and a bit of touring.

I am now ready to step up a notch and go for a bigger bike and was considering the ZX-9R (c or e)which would suit my needs, but, I have discovered the ocular delight of the Daytona 955i (2001 onwards) and am now in a dilema.

I know the ZX9 can do what I want, but, I'm having trouble finding one at the right price and it is insurance group 16.

I have sourced a gorgeous 955 at the right price, and at group 15 insurance but have no idea what it is like for long distances on my own, or with pillion. Also I have no idea about the provision for tanks bags, strap on lauggage etc.

So, what I am begging to know is:

Is the 955 as comfy as a ZX9, for rider and pillion?

Is it possible to do some sporty touring on the 955?

Is the 955 reasonable to insure compared to the ZX9?

Any other info/comments would be great.

Cheers

Daz

Last edited by sachiwilson; 05-14-2008 at 06:37 AM..
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

AM,

Soft bags only, and the pillion is there only to cover the rear of the bike.

If you want a similar bike, look at the Sprint ST. Same motor with a lower state of tune, better (but not great) seat and you can get hard bags and top box.

I prefer the pre-'05 versions.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Animal Mother
Registered Member

Thanks Pushrod

Anyone else? To be honest, I don't want other bike recommendations as I would just go out and get a ZX9. What I want to know is if the Daytona is comparible to a ZX9 for rider/pillion comfort and longer journeys.
I know a Sport Tourer would suit but I don't want one.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Hi all

Is the 955 as comfy as a ZX9, for rider and pillion?

Is it possible to do some sporty touring on the 955?

Is the 955 reasonable to insure compared to the ZX9?
What year is the 955 that you have found? I believe the ergos are more forgiving (less aggressive) than some sport bikes.

Can you tour on it? Sure. You can tour on anything. It just a matter of what you are willing to put up with.

Can you tour with a passenger? Sure. Your passenger will probably hate you, but yeah, you can strap a passenger back there. Will they enjoy it? Probably not. But it would be no less comfortable than forcing another person to sit on the back of another sport bike for any length of time. If you plan on doing this with a wife, I would hope you would have a good prenup in place. If it is just someone you are dating, be sure they are into some pain or light domination.

I do know that some people complained about the amount of heat the 955 would throw. Did this affect all models? Not sure.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Animal Mother
Registered Member

It is a 2001 model 955. The facelift one.

I basically want to know how the 955 would compare to the ZX9 as it is known to be a sports tourer but slightly edgier than say VFR's or ST's.

Would the 955 fall into the same category?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Well this is easy............

Quote:
It is a 2001 model 955. The facelift one.

I basically want to know how the 955 would compare to the ZX9 as it is known to be a sports tourer but slightly edgier than say VFR's or ST's.

Would the 955 fall into the same category?

Though I know absolutly nothing about you such as your height and weight, the height and weight of your passenger, your riding style or the number of miles you plan on putting on in a day I can still catagorically state that the 955 is in every way better than the ZX9.

In terms of fit and finish the 955 is both a more attractive design and it's put together by skilled British Craftsman, while the ZX9 is cobbled together by a pack of nameless faceless automata who worship pagan idols in mysterious ceremonies at the dark of night, their godless heathen chants the very breath of evil......

Performance wise, the 955 is both faster and better handling while still coseting the rider and passenger in the relaxing comfort of their favorite armchair...

It's an obvious choice, buy the 955 and while away your days in blissful happiness

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
Animal Mother
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Though I know absolutly nothing about you such as your height and weight, the height and weight of your passenger, your riding style or the number of miles you plan on putting on in a day I can still catagorically state that the 955 is in every way better than the ZX9.

In terms of fit and finish the 955 is both a more attractive design and it's put together by skilled British Craftsman, while the ZX9 is cobbled together by a pack of nameless faceless automata who worship pagan idols in mysterious ceremonies at the dark of night, their godless heathen chants the very breath of evil......

Performance wise, the 955 is both faster and better handling while still coseting the rider and passenger in the relaxing comfort of their favorite armchair...

It's an obvious choice, buy the 955 and while away your days in blissful happiness
So what are you saying? You prefer the Triumph?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Animal Mother
Registered Member

I got a Daytona 955i (2001) Newer shape.
5200 miles. 1000 miles in the last 4 years for a bargain price, so I guess that means I'll be staying here!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I got a Daytona 955i (2001) Newer shape.
5200 miles. 1000 miles in the last 4 years for a bargain price, so I guess that means I'll be staying here!
I'll contact sarnali and tell him to add another Rocker to the membership rolls.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

AM,

You can get soft bags for it, and Sargent makes a really nice seat. They've also got a really good deal right now on a tank bag system.

Triumphs tend to be undersprung, and the D955 is not excepted. You may find that you and your pillion overwhelm the rear shock.

Good luck, and enjoy the bike!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote