Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Triumph

Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Arrow Triumph Speed Four

I have a chance to pick up a triumph Speed Four from a relative for a couple grand and was considering it. The only problem i have is that I have only recently gotten back on two wheels after years of hiatus (rode old Honda CL50s and 100s as a kid) and have been riding the girlfriends fathers CL175 around the woods. I was planning on taking the MSF and what not but I was wondering if the Speed four is a little too much for a first Street bike, I have had my eyes set on a Scrambler for the last year but for around $2000 I didn't want to pass up such a deal.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Where is it? I'll "hang on to it" for you.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Well if i don't take it my cousin Rob will, though he already has a bunch of bikes and his wife will more than likely kill him.

I really like the looks of it I just don't know how i feel about the power and the athletic riding position. Could i put risers on clip ons?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

NEVER PASS UP A GOOD DEAL ON A MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!!

Here's what you do. You buy the Speed Four, but continue riding the CL175 until you get your sea legs back. Take the safety class and slowly work your way into the Speed Four.

From what you said it seems like you aren't a 21 year old punk kid and you have previous riding experience, so you should be able to restrain yourself and continue practicing with the CL.

Beside, it’s not like riding around in the wood ISN’T fun. It just different.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

"Could i put risers on clip ons?"
-I'm pretty sure you can. I would almost think you could use the bars from the Speed Triple. Don't take my word on it as I am mechanically stupid.

Oh, and screw this "Rob" character...if that is even his real name. He sounds like a greedy motorcycle bastard! Your goal is to have more bikes than him. Make it happen.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Well whats funny is i AM 21, though I rode a lot when i was younger and have no interest in having my brains on the pavement.

I saw this guy the other day riding a Ducati 999 down a fairly busy street doing wheelies out of red lights. No helmet, no jacket, blue jeans and a "wife beater." I also watched him almost collide with a telephone pole O_O mmmm.... brain soup.

In all reality i have no reason to ride like a moron, I don't feel the need to impress anyone. I just want to enjoy myself and ride.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
"Could i put risers on clip ons?"
-I'm pretty sure you can. I would almost think you could use the bars from the Speed Triple. Don't take my word on it as I am mechanically stupid.

Oh, and screw this "Rob" character...if that is even his real name. He sounds like a greedy motorcycle bastard! Your goal is to have more bikes than him. Make it happen.
Hell yea! anyone want to donate to my cause?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Well if you keep the revs real low it will have the same power as the CL. If you have restraint and past riding experiance you should be fine. Remember buy a full face lid, nice jacket, gloves and a good pair of boots at bare minimum. Take your time, swallow your ego and ride your own pace. At that price you could just buy it and resell for a few dollars more too. Take the MSF course if its available.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
have been riding the girlfriends fathers CL175 around the woods. ...but I was wondering if the Speed four is a little too much for a first Street bike.
Most of the guys I know who ride dirt are excellent street riders. They don't piss all over the seat every time a tire starts to slide. Get the bike!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

Buy it! You'll do just fine.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote