Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Triumph

Old 07-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Seruzawa's Tiger1050 Update

Well, I've had the Tiger1050 for well over a year now. But subtracting the looong winter we had I figure that it's about a year's worth of riding. I've put 12K on it in touring, errands, screwing around and commuting. I've never been happier with a bike in my 46 years of riding. The smoothness and torque never disappoint. And though I've not put it on a dynamo it's pretty obvious to me that the engine has loosened up over time and is making some more power than when new simply because the front wheel comes off the ground with greater ease.

The only engine mod was to the airbox where I unplugged one of the snorkels. It hasn't hurt and may have improved the response a bit. The mileage continues to come in around 46 for commuting and 50 on the highway. On the Meth-Cops ride we went on this spring we were stuck amongst a bunch of slow@ss Harleys that averaged about 50mph but as a bit of a consolation I got 60mpg. I've thought about an Arrow pipe or a TOR exhaust w/map but I am reluctant to hammer on the mileage. It's not like the Tiger has any shortage of power. Only one time have I had to downshift to pass a semi, but that was with a passenger and a heavy touring load into a 30 mph head wind on I-70. Normally you just twist the wick and dispatch cages with aplomb.

Handling and suspension are perfect for the often nasty road surfaces in much of the intermountain west. I know that most of the pro testers complain that the suspension is too soft but that long travel is just thing for the potholes, frost heaves and the roads where you can see the lower layers of asphalt popping through. The Tiger glides right over irregularities that had my past bikes twitching.

I've not added any other accessories since the ones I wrote up before on this site: windshield, fenda extenda, crash bars (Givi), bar risers, 30mm lowering plates, center stand and hand guards. My wife loves the rear accomodations with a gelpad added for long trips. The stock Triumph luggage continues to suck because of the low capacity but we've managed to get by. I never use a hard trunk when touring anyhow, but replace it with a big gear bag on any bike. The side bags hold enough stuff for day use when touring. If you buy a Tiger do not get the optional Triumph luggage. The trick setup is to get the low Arrow pipe so an aftermarket rightside bag doesn't have to stick so far out. The stock right bag has an indent for the muffler and it's capacity is pretty pathetic.

Other niggles:
-The numbers on the odometers are very small and kind of hard to read.
-The fuel gauge is a bit flaky, it might read a couple of bars high or low each time you turn on the bike.
-The buttons on the display are hard to push and you have to hold them in quite a while to resest the trip odometers.
-The headlights aren't all that bright. PIAA or HID and driving lights are a good idea. They aren't bad, just could be better.
-The dealer wants $650 to do the 12K maintenance... a manual was $42 from Ebay. Eff you BMW of Utah.
-The cheap ties on the luggage lids break easily. Most are now replaced with shoelaces.

Note that this is the smallest amount of niggles by far on any bike I've owned.

It's had no mechanical issues since the two that were fixed on warranty last year... the rear brake light switch and a fork seal. And there's still not one oil drip on the garage floor. The finish, paint and chrome is still like new. Not a hint of the degradation that is all-too-common on Japanese bikes. The bike is a 2007 demonstrator.

If the bike was stolen I'd buy another one right off. I can't recommend the bike enough. The ~500lb wet weight makes this the best touring hoot I've ever ridden. Who fives a shyt about a few horsepower? Do the math. 105hp on the 500lb Tiger = 136hp on a 650lb bike. But horsepower doesn't make a heavy bike handle better and the most expensive suspension components do not cause "the weight to disappear". That's total bs made up by the manufacturers and their cheering teams in the press. Spare me how great 700lb "sport tourers" handle. Oink oink piggy FJRs and STs... pork pork oink oink.

It's off to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons next month.

Tiger 1050:

Luggage looks spacious doesn't it?

Don't be fooled. The sides of the cases are 15/16" thick. The right case especially is tiny with the muffler cutout:

Shoelaces replace cheapshyt ties:

Helmet barely fits in trunk:

Hey! Where'd that come from?

Note the tiny odometer numbers. Very hard to see in the bright sun. Especially when the handlebars reflect the sun onto the face of the instruments. I had to put some flat black paint on the bar and riser front near the instruments:

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-16-2011 at 11:33 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Very nice. I haven't owned a triple yet.

I might have to put one on the short list.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Thanks for the review(s). I like hearing about different bikes & their owners opinions a year of more down the road. I love the sport tourers and if I were in the market right now I'd be shopping for one. One thing I don't like on any soprt tourer is their hard luggage options seem the most limited of any style bikes (excluding true soprtbikes). They are usually only partially color matched, usually look like an afterthought & I'd rather have a top opening, though smaller, at least they dont dump out on ya. We have a Triumph dealership here now & they are the only shop I recall hosting an open house & test rides, but I haven't gone. Enjoy your upcoming trip.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Nice follow-up review. This is definitely one bike I have always had eyes for! Perhaps someday...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Great update, Seruzawa.

Per that PM I sent you, I was able to do a demo ride on a Sprint GT. The 1050 motor is extremely impressive. Smooth as a baby's behind, winds up like a turbine, felony-charge powerband. Too bad they made the GT ergos closer to a 600 Supersport than a real sport-tourer. I couldn't ride the bike more than an hour or two without serious medication.

Concours 14. Concours 14. Concours 14.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
2doorcinema
Registered Member

This is a really nice bike! Have any of your previous bikes been Triumphs? In the future I would like to get a sport tourer and this will be one I consider. Nice looking bike, and good feedback from people who own them. Thanks for the note about the Tiger's original luggage. Where did you end up getting your luggage, is it easy to find?
2doorcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Great update, Seruzawa.

Per that PM I sent you, I was able to do a demo ride on a Sprint GT. The 1050 motor is extremely impressive. Smooth as a baby's behind, winds up like a turbine, felony-charge powerband. Too bad they made the GT ergos closer to a 600 Supersport than a real sport-tourer. I couldn't ride the bike more than an hour or two without serious medication.

A couple years back I read something about Triumph responding to criticism of the SprintST, that it was "too sporty" for a sport tourer and had heat issues. They said that they intended the bike to be more sporty than not and that if people want a more plush ride there are other choices. Whether the story is true or not it makes a nice urban legend.

You'll note that most ST comparos leave out the Sprint because it simply humiliates the Japanese competition off the Interstate. For that matter the 675 is left off of US Supersport comparos for the same reason. The Big4 manufacturers have a stranglehold on the US bike press.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

According to the dealer, the Sprint GT is actually "toned down" ergo-wise from the original crispy ST version. Which means the orginal one was a full-on sportbike ride. Hey, if that's what you want, God Bless. Myself at 50, with arthur-itis, steel wrist, fractured spine...no way.

I'd get a Tiger in a minute, but it's become identified as a Right-Wing Conservative niche market bike. You have to order it with a gun rack...no way I'm going there. Besides, the Tiger is close enough to the Vee so as not to matter, might as well keep it.

Prices on a Multistrada are off the hook. The base model with nothing more than saddlebags is $18k out the door. Add ABS and you're looking at $20k.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Glad you're likin' El Tigre' Blanco, Seru!

Apparently the hot tip is to put some else's bags (Givi, H&B) on the bikes. Of course, if the OEM are included in the sale, that is a $1000 (or more) you have less of a reason to drop...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Glad you're likin' El Tigre' Blanco, Seru!

Apparently the hot tip is to put some else's bags (Givi, H&B) on the bikes. Of course, if the OEM are included in the sale, that is a $1000 (or more) you have less of a reason to drop...
The bags came on the demonstrator and they only hit me up for $500 for them. It's not a huge problem, but given the option aftermarkets are better.