Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Triumph

Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Misc Tiger 1050 Doodah

So, I put a centerstand on the Tiger yesterday. The kit was from SW-Motech for about $155. Quite a bit cheaper than the factory Triumph kit. It looks to be a quality item and has good feedback on the net. Installation was easy and only took about 1/2 hour. Now it's easy to check oil and adjust/lube the chain. $%$#@ Triumph doesn't have a little oil window.

I also installed a Fendah-Extendah on the front, also from SW-Motech. Cost=$40. The extendah keeps crap from throwing off the tire onto the heat exchangers on the front. It only took about 15 minutes to install. The fender comes off real easy and unlike Japanese bikes there are no little nuts to fiddle with.... the allen screws go right into a little bracket with threaded holes. This might weigh .2 oz more and cost $1.00 more in production over just the usual loose bolts and nuts but it's a nice feature.

One slight downside is that the Tiger has eaten up my rear Michelin about 1K miles faster than my GSX1100G or ZRX1100 did. I'm gonna try an Avon Storm next since the Avons got me the best mileage before. Hope it goes longer than 7.5K.

Gotta love that 1050 Triple. I haven't gotten any tickets though. I have noticed that the Tiger has a smaller radar signature than past bikes. There's one of those neighborhood speed limit signs with the radar readout that tells you how fast you are going. I have to get much closer to it to set it off than I did on earlier bikes. I've also noticed that if there's a car anywhere near me those things won't detect the Tiger at all. I think it's because of the smaller projector headlamps. Headlamps are the major reflector of radar energy with those parabolic reflectors.

Another thing. Triumph recommends Mobil1 motorcycle-specific 10-40W for the Tiger. The engine has had a bit of valve noise and idle speed clutch noise all along. At 6K I did the oil/filter change and used Repsol blended 10-40W instead. I noticed an immediate reduction in valve train and clutch noise. A friend of mine has a Street Triple and he had notchy shifting issues until he switched from Mobil1 to Redline. So, I'm not sure what Mobil did to their oil because I used to use the Mobil 1 20-50 before they did a bunch of relabeling and never had any issues. But now that it's motorcycle-specific it doesn't seem to perform so well.

Hey! I started an oil thread!

Centerstand

Fendah-Extendah

We be stylin' now. Except for the ugly-@ss oversized windshield.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Sounds like you've got a stealthy tourer there. Very nice bike. And that is one huge trunk!
the days ...
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You start a pizza delivery service or something?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I always used good old Rotella 15w40 in my Trophy, and Bandit's. And in my decker in the winter for that matter. Cheap and it works.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Looking Better and Better

The Tiger is looking better and better all the time.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Seru,

I still haven't worn out my Azaro on the back, but I'm hankerin' to try a Shinko Raven 009. Maybe after I ride to Barber in a couple weeks.

Check it out, they are a lot cheaper than pretty much everyone else, and they have no 'negative' reviews. No positive ones with any intelligent input, either.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Seru,

I still haven't worn out my Azaro on the back, but I'm hankerin' to try a Shinko Raven 009. Maybe after I ride to Barber in a couple weeks.

Check it out, they are a lot cheaper than pretty much everyone else, and they have no 'negative' reviews. No positive ones with any intelligent input, either.
I was considering the Shinko. But next year I'm retiring and taking a month long tour of the US. So I figure I'll still with what I know works for now.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Avons hold up well, that's what I would use

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Well, I've had great service from the Azaro, and the Storm on the front looks like it'll last a few more years...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

I have the same centerstand on my Speed Triple. They're very nice.

I also have Shinko Ravens mounted. No complaints from me.