Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 07-24-2001, 12:59 PM   #1
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Ya, good deal, you betcha.....

aye, man, whatever floots 'yer boot......
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2001, 01:20 PM   #2
drandall
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 955i Reader Feedback

Excellent, the Brits have forsaken Japanese blandness for something unique.

In a world of the same excellent bike with four different manufacturer's names on them, I welcome thsi as heartily as the strange, new Buell.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 01:23 PM   #3
jby
Founding Member

MSRP?
jby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 01:28 PM   #4
sigipickl
Founding Member

Default Could the exhaust can be any bigger?

That can is HUGE! What is it with Triumphs and massive exhaust pipes that stick out 6" past the rear of the bike?
sigipickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
kwh
Founding Member

"MO Staff" says the byeline. Who really wrote it? I only ask because your UK readership will probably recognise the name if it is one of the usual freelance suspects, and know how much weight to give his or her opinions.

Or maybe you do have staff in Italy... .

BTW, as an ex-T595 owner, having had a quick blast on the new 955i (my local dealer's demo bike), I reckon it's better in every way than the T595, from the riding position through the handling to the amount of grunt.

Ken Haylock
Old 07-24-2001, 05:36 PM   #6
FrankS1
Founding Member

An interesting third choice. Why do I write third?

Well, we have two similar liter displacement Italian V-twins and a couple Japanese wannabe imitations. We have four almost identical liter displacement Japanese four cylinder wailer clones.

And if the rider report is straight, the new Triumph is a pretty close competitor, but not a copy of anybody. Good for them. A rasping triple makes for a third real choice.

(Sorry I can't bring myself to put the Buell in the same class as the other bikes, though the new one looks interesting.)

FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
baddog
Founding Member

Earlier this year, Southern California Triumph did a terrific demo ride event (factory supported, to be sure!) where we general public types could get a taste of every Triumph model. All of them! And gang, if you haven't ridden one of their triples, you really don't know what you're missing. Incredible mid-range torque. Totally unique sound. If you're one of us "median" riders, who can't use an R1 at 10/10ths, I'd bet the actual performance difference is nil!
baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:32 PM   #8
baddog
Founding Member

Default Re: Could the exhaust can be any bigger?

Now that we've seen Honda's 1800 cruiser, I don't think any other exhaust will look huge again. The Honda's muffler should have access doors and luggage compartments.
baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:50 PM   #9
Gabe
Founding Member

Default $10,999

Only $600 more than the GSXR-1000! And only 49 more pounds fully loaded, as well. (Oh yeah, and 16 less ponies)

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:56 PM   #10
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Weight, Power, Price...

In case you want to know, is all in the September Motorcyclist. (I guess I'm a time traveler!)

The bike is 486 pounds full of gas, 452 pounds empty. Note the Triumph claimed dry weight is 419 pounds- what fluid weighs 33 pounds? All the fluids can't be more than 10 pounds- do they take off tires or just lie?

Power is 127 HP at the back wheel- pretty good! right there with the ZX-9R, 929, and R1: but not good enough to beat the GSXR, but I think people are starting to balk at too much power. Maybe I'm wrong.

Price is 10,999. Pretty good! Less than what they charged back in '95 for their heavy-ass tanks they used to sell.

I think Triumph is coming along great and I wish them the best. These are truly great times!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote