Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 07-25-2001, 01:17 PM   #31
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Resale and marketing

Agreed, some people still come up to me too asking if the company is still making bikes and that doesn't show too good of a marketing effort.

In my opinion what is hurting Triumph is the lack of headline grabbing motorcycles. Don't get me wrong, I own two and I'm very happy with both, they are both a lot better street bikes than the competition but until the Trumpets make class leading numbers they won't get much attention from the media and the general public won't have much awareness of the brand.

I do what I can for Triumph: ride my bikes as much as possible and let bystanders and riders admire them, because they get LOTS of looks.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2001, 01:24 PM   #32
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Not so fast...

I heard rumours that a SSSA version may roll out sometime next year. This would not surprise me much since all of us T595/955 owners have been ranting about how much we miss the SSSA in the new bike.

It is actually possible to buy the new bike and then install the parts to convert it to the old SSSA (the frame didn't really change). The problem is that you would have to be willing to dump somewhere around 2K extra for the conversion.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:56 PM   #33
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: I love Triumphs but don

Well said. I also have people ask what year my bike is expecting it to be a 70-something. In fact it's a 1999 Speed Triple. Many people (like my neighbors kids) don't even know what a Triumph is or that the British even build bikes. I can attest to the resale problem as well. I'm so far upside-down in this loan I'll have this bike for years as I chase the blue book value down. I've had minor reliability problems but a broken speedo light and an oil leak here and there aren't a big deal. And I REALLY enjoy how enthusiastic the dealers are. I've used dealers in NC, IA, and CA and have to say they are motorcycle enthusiasts first, buisnessmen second. You can go to the parts dept. without 3 salesmen approaching you, and I know all my mechanics names and what kind of bikes they ride. Triumph is a super company and now that they are starting to compete more head-on I'm even happier for them.

Now, about that race team...Benelli is doing it with a triple. If Triumph wants to make a bigger splash, then they should have something for me to cheer on when I'm at the races...
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:59 PM   #34
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: For readers in the US midwest...

I've been to that dealer. It's worth the ride let just to see the back showroom. It's better than a museum because it's all for sale and you can sit on it. Those guys were super people to deal with and genuine enthusiasts... Wish I was still out there...
Old 07-25-2001, 03:02 PM   #35
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: A better question

AMEN BROTHER!!!! Damn the weight issue, a single sided swingarm and centerstand make too much sense for us everyday, high mileage riders. I like being able to adjust my chain by the side of the road if need be.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:05 PM   #36
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default inverted forks...

...are too hard to keep clean... And I can't reach down and reset the zip-ties I use to guage suspension travel...
Old 07-25-2001, 04:12 PM   #37
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Just make both sides match

single sided swingarm and conventional style fork, or go all out race rep with the sacrificed swingarm and an inverted fork.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 04:26 PM   #38
polishnightmare
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 955i Reader Feedback

I agree Triumph has made a improvement on the new bike. Although I think that the new bike should have a SSSA. It makes the bikes look great and unique. Yes it adds wt., but it is already over wt. Also If it has one put the exhuast on the other side from the open side. Doesn't do any good to have a SSSA if you can't see it. Also I kie the lights, but would be better if the reflectors were seperated. Increased power is a definite move in the right direction
polishnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 08:38 PM   #39
sigipickl
Founding Member

Default Re: Could the exhaust can be any bigger?

But it sticks out so far! Hell, the actual can doesn't start until almost the rear axle...

I must say that under-seat exhaust that people have been putting on the 595 and Daytona is slick though! Sounds great too...
sigipickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 12:53 PM   #40
ngall
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 955i Reader Feedback

Triumphs are starting to grow on me. I am kind of glad they got rid of the SSSA, though. I know it takes away from the 'character' of the bike, but I think the bark of the triple cylinder exhaust makes up for it. However, a conventional swing arm can be much stiffer and lighter than a SS one, and is probably cheaper, as I'm sure most people know. I like the fact that Triumph has produced a competitive sport bike without eliminating it's 'Britishness'. Of course now this makes buying a sport bike even more difficult. Decisions, decisions.
ngall is offline   Reply With Quote