Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 07-24-2001, 08:38 PM   #11
Ow595
Registered Member

Default Re: Weight, Power, Price...

Actually the weight is about right.... 419 dry means with zero fluid: no oil, gas, battery, fork oil etc (this goes for all factorys).....

Motorcyclists dry weight is all fluids sans fuel (or otherwise an empty tank) Wet weight is with a full tank (otherwise known as curb weight).

Still I was hoping it was going to be closer to 470lbs wet....

William
Ow595 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2001, 09:26 PM   #12
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Could the exhaust can be any bigger?

To make an exhaust quiet it has to be big. Check out the race can for it, or take a look at how big the cans are on Kawasaki's sportbikes....
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:31 PM   #13
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 955i Reader Feedback

I'm really happy for Triumph. Now if they'll quit hedging and get a race team out there I can really get behind them. C'mon Triumph, Aprilia is doing it, don't tell me it's too expensive.. You took the AMA title in '98, what's the deal. Get out there and race!!! (PS, if you need a rider, my schedule is wide open......Let's talk contract)..
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:36 PM   #14
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Quote from article -- "In fact, in Europe, the new Triumph even undercuts the competition price wise."

I wonder if this is because of an EU price break on import duties, or just the difference in shipping costs alone?

Anyway, if they could beat Japanese sportbike prices in the states, they would really make a mark. I don't have any hard evidence, but it seems European bikes (all makes) tend to hold resale value a little better than the Japanese bikes. I LOVE Japanese bikes, but you really loose your ass buying them new. At trade-in time they are worth squat! I know Harley riders have always used this line to justify their $20,000 bikes.... but, unless you plan on keeping a bike until you die... trade-in value is a factor. So, if Triumph bikes can compete performance wise with the Japanese, cost the same or less, and hold onto a little more value over time, I think the scale tips in their favor.

MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:40 AM   #15
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Weight, Power, Price...

Extra 3litres fuel capacity adds about 5ib
Not_Anonymous_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 03:51 AM   #16
Chester
Founding Member

Japanese bikes are the best.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 04:44 AM   #17
dickdastardly
Founding Member

As the former owner of a lovely orange 96 speed

triple I can testify that Triumph makes great bikes,

but the resale value is no better than most

japanese bikes. In fact, it may be worse, for the

simple reason that there are less people looking

for Triumphs to buy.
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 04:53 AM   #18
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Define best.

Not_Anonymous_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:00 AM   #19
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default I love Triumphs but don't buy one on resale...

it is no better than Japanese motorcycles but for a different reason. With Japanese motorcyles it's because most have little to love except the price and performance level you get for it. A year or to later nobody wants your bike except those looking for cheap wheels, because it's now a stale second-rate has-been and highly suspect of being abused if it's a sportbike. Note that Japanese cruisers, while not holding value nearly as well as Harleys, do better than Japanese sportbikes because that has-been syndrome doesn't afflict them quite so badly.

Triumphs OTOH don't hold their value because many people associate with them with the old Meriden Triumphs and are afraid of them or suspect they will have trouble finding dealers or getting parts. This is hard to believe and largely unwarranted in spite of a few glitches the new Triumph co. has failed to iron out before putting a bike on the market (but to their credit have quickly fixed, and LC triples based on the original Hinckley engine have proven to be among of the most reliable bikes on the planet). But you wouldn't believe the number of people who come up to my Triumph and are still totally surprised to find out they're still in business! Triumph's biggest shortcoming is their marketing, and that is reflected in resale I'm afraid.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:29 AM   #20
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default For readers in the US midwest...

The Triumph demo fleet will be in the tiny village of Marne, IA (a short ride east of Omaha) for the annual Brit/Euro rally sponsored by Baxter Cycle on Aug 11-12. They are one of the few US dealerships left that still stocks quite an assortment of both the old and new Triumphs as well as Moto Guzzi (demo rides on them too!) For more info www.baxtercycle.com

Ditto on the don't know what you're missing if you haven't ridden one of the new Triumphs, regardless of whether you're into sportbikes, sport-tourers or retro-style standards (sorry, Triumph can't help if morbidly obese cruisers or full-dressers are your thing).
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote