Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 03-22-2001, 03:00 PM   #71
pistonbroke
Founding Member

Default Re: actually, the first

as they say..."You don't know sh!t sonny"!!
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2001, 03:50 PM   #72
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph TT600 Reader Feedback

I might be able to finagle a ride on a gixxer, but probably not an R6 or the Honda. I could probably get a test ride on the TT fairly easily. Riding them back to back might take more coniving than I am up to. Relative to my more or less stock '96 Bandit 600, any of them would probably feel like a Saturn V rocket.

I don't know why you like it, but I kinda feel the same way.

It looks pretty good. It has the ugliest air intakes in the known world, but the rest is clean and simple looking. I even like the big TT on the side. It has all the little trick bits like braided hoses that get me in touch with my inner geek. Most importantly, I don't even ride to the Bandit's limits that much, so I would never even notice the engine's failings. My only concern is its durability. A Suzuki will go 12,000 miles a year, year in, year out. I change the oil and occationally adjust the valves. That is it. I don't really know how a TT would hold up.

Rationally, I would keep riding the Bandit until the flat spots on the bottoms of the pegs start getting too obvious. Then I would buy a perfect Japanese bike. Really, I have been trying to figure out a really good reason that I really need a TT600, in spite of the bad press. I haven't found that reason yet...
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 04:58 PM   #73
rls4691
Founding Member

As a comment to my own message I will clarify that the bike turns 93.6hp NOT 95.6hp (inadvertant typo). In addition, I don't want to make it sound as if the bike is perfect (no bike is).

I do still have the low speed throttle problems. The bike is throttle sensitive just off the bottom (surge people talk about) but I've never thought it was either dangerous or difficult to deal with. My particular bike just will not do any consistent speed between 3 and 9 mph. It will accelerate or decelerate through that range, but is really jumpy in that range if you try to maintain that sort of constant speed.

Regarding my friends' 2000 R6 and 1999 GSXR600 they both were just better behaved out of the box but haven't held up as well over their 2k miles and 3.5k miles respectively as my bike has.

BTW - Stuff just falls off the Suzuki, but I believe it is the bike and not the mark.

In addition and closing, with each of the 3 bikes I have experience; none feels any faster than the others, none is the dog or hero of the group and all have "out of the box" limits WAY beyond most of us.
rls4691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 06:32 PM   #74
MrSpucial
Founding Member

Default I'll wait it out

I think if I'd have to pick a Triumph bike it would be the new Daytona. Maybe in a year or two Triumph will pick up in the Supersport pack and get up there.
MrSpucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 06:43 PM   #75
EnZed
Founding Member

Both you and MO have got it wrong - this is NOT Triumph's first 4 cylinder in-line bike. The Trophy 1200 was.
EnZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 06:43 PM   #76
EnZed
Founding Member

Default Re: Not the first in-line 4!!

Both you and MO have got it wrong - this is NOT Triumph's first 4 cylinder in-line bike. The Trophy 1200 was.
EnZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:16 AM   #77
Kiwi
Founding Member

Default Re: make it 700cc

I don't agree. There are numbers that work for me and numbers that don't. 700cc makes me think of those silly undersized 750's you yanks got when the Harley inspired anti-dumping tariffs were in force. 650 is a magic motorcycling number. The VFR lost something (apart from its looks) when it became an 800. I have admit that that's part ofthe reason I prefer the W650 (yes...I know it's really 675cc) to the 790cc Bonneville. That plus the tacho. After all Bonnevilles did start out as sports bikes.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:43 AM   #78
baker
Founding Member

whaaaaaaaaaaat,

I find Triumphs pig ugly, heavy, unreliable and slow (compared to the competition). They aren't comfortable either (well the 595/955 anyway, it very hard and harsh & its the only half decent Triumph). And you say they don't rip off the styling of other manufactures - come on, wise up and get real!!!!!!!!!!! The TT600 is a blatant rip-off of the CBR6, and the new 955 is a real mix and match of rip offs (the ZX9R, TLR etc).....the list goes on>>>>>>>

baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 03:30 AM   #79
BradGross
Founding Member

I wish i could remember where I read this but Triumph did think about building a 600cc triple. What they eventually discovered was that it would be too heavy and the bike would be too long to do it right because of the size of the pistons. If I find that article I will post it here.

I have to agree with the RS though. I test rode one a while back. It is smooth, responsive, and comfortable. The handling of the bike is near telepathic. The insurance cost is about the same as a 600 and you can get a bunch of accessories for it. (can we all say heated handgrips!!!)

Brad
BradGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 05:52 AM   #80
ricci
Founding Member

the tt600 looks really odd,yeah,kinda retro.....not very pleased with it. i prefer the jap bikes ,faster and handsome machines....mor3e reliable too.....and about that donation, i'm a 20 yr old student with no job ,no crediy card, so right now donations are well impossible, but when i start working ,i'll think about it......and please publish more stuff on maintenance , it'll be useful when i buy my bike a few months later....
ricci is offline   Reply With Quote