Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 03-26-2001, 08:16 AM   #111
thomasaanderson
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph TT600 Reader Feedback

I appreciate what you're saying stevegrab, but should I base my entire buying decision on what some magazine article says? Where I live there are only two Kawasaki and two Suzuki dealers within an 80 mile radius and their service reputations are universally horrible. FWIW, the local Honda dealer sucks too (the salesman didn't even know what an "F4" was when I asked if any were in stock). They all had significant dealer markups tacked onto their prices, were unwilling to provide test rides (even though I am an MSF instructor), and were staffed by rude people.

OTOH, the local Triumph dealer has a great reputation and treated me very well. They let me take a test ride and that helped cement my decision. I would point out that if I had been unhappy with the bike on the test ride I wouldn't have bought it.

One more thing: The break-in service at the Triumph dealer cost less than half what most of the Japanese bike dealers charge. And did I mention that the price I paid for the bike was cheap?

I'm not saying that the quality of the dealer was the only reason I bought the Triumph, but it certainly was a factor. Knowing that I have a dealer that will be good to work with if I need help or warranty work is important to me.
thomasaanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2001, 08:27 AM   #112
thomasaanderson
Founding Member

Actually, minime, there are quite a few people who have dynoed their TTs in the 90s, although all of those that I've heard of are 2000 models. There is a guy on www.triumphnet.com who is race prepping a TT and claims to have dynoed his at 107 last weekend (although that is with quite a few mods, including a race pipe, a Dynojet power commander, and some other stuff). Perhaps the newer tune specs that smooth out the EFI glitches also reduce power somewhat? I don't know, I'm only speculating and I'm certainly no tuning expert.

I might have mine dynoed later this week; if I do I'll post the results here.
thomasaanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:20 AM   #113
adrebb
Founding Member

I think that they should also include yamaha yzf600r

into the shootout part two and compare it to zx6r

for all-day comfort.
adrebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:46 AM   #114
sprintrdr
Founding Member

So you've ridden both the tt600 and the sv650? Quit talking to me about dynos and ride the damn thing then tell us about it. Neither bike was perfect. The SV is cheaper, while Triumph stands behind their product with better dealers and a better warranty.
sprintrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 10:39 AM   #115
richardr6
Founding Member

hey Steve you have a valid point But..... If you were treated the way I was the last two years, then you would understand why I purchase the Honda CBR f3 and f4. Don't get me wrong the Honda were both awesome and great bikes. I would purchase another one in a heart beat. I have always wanted a R6. They were "hype" so baddly, the dealership were I am from would not negotiate a trade in. The other thing was, the dealership was not paying its bills and was not able to get a r6 in. Your thinking go somewhere else, so I did. I went to a different dealership an hour away, took a day of from work, and promise me I would get a fair and reasonable trade in on my F4 WRONG! They screwed me around. Do not get me wrong I did purchase a new R6, the dealership still sucks (4 weeks before I got my tags) God forbid if my R6 would ever tear up cuz their service sucks in both locations (one dealership takes a year to change oil, the other over charges). I loved the Honda dealership so much I owned to Honda, and the dealership and service department is a awesome place the way I was treated. So, Steve you have a valid point ( I feel the same way as you) but get treated badly by a couple of dealership and get treated really good at another and see how your opinion could change. You alone cannot purchase Yamaha parts or service on some things without a DEALERSHIP and if there horrible, well...
richardr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 11:28 AM   #116
Poser
Founding Member

It is not so sad and silly to think about how you are going to take care of your bike after you bought it. One of the knocks against a TT600 for me is the remoteness of the dealers from where I live and work. Sure, I could find an independent shop that could work on it, but I ride every day. I don't want to wait for a shop to get parts.

Heven forbid that I waste a day above freezing in the car!

I am not really much of a squid, but I am thinking seriously about a new gixxer when I replace my old bike. I will never challenge the bike's capabilities, but I will enjoy it, and a good Suzuki shop is a reasonable walk from my house. Another good Suzuki shop is a short hop from work. If I have any problems or just routine maintenance, I can get it done without logistic juggling.

If you have the time and inclination to do the work yourself, then it is not an issue for you. I have too many other things to do already, and don't need another hobby.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 11:58 AM   #117
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default no I wasn't

I just hate them, that's all. That chassis just sucks ass, no wonder they covered it with that fugly fairing. Ok it's irrational, I just hate them. It's the bic lighter of motorcycles. It works, but that doesn't make it good. Or maybe it is good, I still hate them.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 12:13 PM   #118
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default I didn't knock the bikes

just the decals. I'd be stripping off the whole fairing anyway, so I'm more concerned with how the frame looks in a buying decision. But if anyone asks about the graphics, they suck. They're lame. And someone who comes up with them should know that.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:09 AM   #119
stevegrab
Founding Member

Ok, I feel really bad for you if your dealer situation is that bad. Where are located, in the middle of nowhere? Sounds like a pretty small market. And if the Honda salesman does not even know what an F4 is, that's really scary.

As for demo rides, that seems to be a problem everywhere, with every major brand. Very few dealers will allow demo rides on new bikes. You have to go somewhere like the Honda Hoot, or at some MC races (they do it near me at Mid-Ohio) where they have a demo fleet available.

Enjoy your TT600 (I ride an F4), the 600 bikes are great fun. Not the most comfortable/best suited for longer trips. But when you get the really twisty roads, you're right at home.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:13 AM   #120
stevegrab
Founding Member

I can understand that. Its a shame that so many of these dealers screw things up for specific manufacturers. But that is life in the vehicle dealership world.

Maybe people who are having really terrible experience with a dealership of a specific brand (but truly like the brand, and their specific bike) should contact the manufacturer and express your dissatisifaction with the dealer. Unless that dealer does a lot of business for them, they may consider looking for another dealer to sell their line in that area.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote