Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Triumph News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/triumph-news/)
-   -   Triumph Tops 10K Units Sold in the U.S. in '06. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/triumph-news/4187-triumph-tops-10k-units-sold-u-s-06-a.html)

dmc42421 01-03-2007 04:49 AM

Re: Triumph Tops 10K Units Sold in the U.S. in '06.

Good point on the Superhawk. It was not that long ago that Colin Edwards on the Honda RC51 took on Ducati in the WSB with great success. From the Mediteranean to North Sea, Euro mfgrs are spicing up life.

BrowningBAR 01-03-2007 04:52 AM

I'd really like to have a Bonnivelle at some point.

I also liked their Trophy touring bikes. I hope they bring it back.

The Rocket just doesn't look right to me, though. Haven't seen one in person...so maybe that's it...right?

Buzglyd 01-03-2007 04:57 AM

It's even uglier in person.

ikonoklass 01-03-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Who says a small company can't compete with proper engines

If you put the KTM SuperDuke 990 engine in a Buell, you would really have something. Victory saw the potential and tried to buy KTM. Shoulda been Harley.

Zooba 01-03-2007 05:11 AM

OK, I confess. Right now there are 7 bikes on trickle chrge in my garage. Guess which one gets ridden, even when it's not really riding weather -- a Triumph Scrambler. And yes, there's a nice honest coating of dirt on the skid plate. Great all-around fun bike. Congratulations Triumph!

sarnali2 01-03-2007 05:19 AM

Re: Excellent Point

I don't think ol' Soichiro will be back anytime soon, and Tadeo Baba is designing Goldwings now instead of sportbikes.

schizuki 01-03-2007 05:28 AM

Re: Congrats to Triumph

That big damp stain over there is what's left of that horse.

BrowningBAR 01-03-2007 05:31 AM

What did you replace it with?

schizuki 01-03-2007 05:39 AM

An all-new liquid-cooled powerplant. Now flowers will grow and children will smile, and there shall be a Buell in every garage and tears no more, hallelujah.

sarnali2 01-03-2007 05:39 AM

Re: Who says a small company can't compete with proper engines

Triumph plays off their heritage to a certain degree with the Modern Classic line, but they also crank out thoroghly modern designs as well. Triumphs were always cutting edge sportbikes in their day because that was the market they competed in. Norton, BSA and Triumph as well as Ducati and Laverda where and are about performance, not sh*t-barge land yachts.

That's why John Bloor has succeeded where so many others like Indian, EH and the like have failed. Building modern competetive sportbikes and tourers from the start and establishing the brand before paying homage to the past with the Bonneville series instead of trying to one-up Harley with '50's style cruisers.

IMO the only way Buell would survive with out the Sporty engine is as a total stand alone brand. It's a catch 22 for them. The Sporty engine defines the bike but keeps them tied to HD and back corner status at most dealers. Get rid of the Sporty engine and put a modern engine in it and it looses it's cult appeal and has to compete with bikes like the Ducati, 675 Daytona and Moto Guzzi as non-Japanese performance bikes.

Tough call for them.