Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Dixit
Registered Member

Default Re: 05 Sprint ST Heat Issues?

This is a known issue with the ST. Many road tests at the time of its introduction clearly showed it and I believe that Triumph has corrected some of it on the 2006 models. The Yamaha FJR 1300 had similar issues. I don't know of any fix.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
robbiedo
Founding Member

Default What about the Triple

I am thinking about getting the 07 Speed Triple. Is a hot butt an issue with this bike?
robbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the Triple

Maybe an official owner will chime in. However, my friend's '06 is not giving off any heat. He does have a corbin.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
ValkBandit
Registered Member

yeah, but don't those underseat exhausts sure look cool? LOL! a classic example of fashion over logic.

try an experiment. ride your bike for 30 minutes, then grasp the muffler firmly with your bare hand. hot, huh? why would any rational person route that hot pipe under the seat?

better question: why would any rational person buy such a bike?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Wambo
Founding Member

You may want to log-on to TriumphRat.net (http://www.triumphrat.net) and search the Sprint forum. I found a couple of possible solutions that were posted:

1) In Spring of this year there was a heat kit that installed some insulation to help shield the heat. Problem is, you have to ask Triumph for it-They are not announcing it.

2) The Triumph "off road" exhaust, which not only sounds nicer but removes the catalytic converter, a big source of the heat.

Between the two, it reduces it greatly according to a few posts but not 100%. The final step would probably be ceramic coating the headers.

I've ridden the '06 ST and love it, except for the heat.
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 AM   #6
midlifecrisis
Founding Member

Default Re: '05 Sprint ST Heat Issues?

I have an '06 ST, which was capable of toasting my backside, particularly on a hot summer day. Application of a heavy foil- backed section of insulation commonly used in automotive applications solved the problem in 10 minutes. The insulation is widely available, and typically has an adhesive backing so it's just a matter of cutting it to conform to the underside of the seat and pressing it into place.

Denis Liakos
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
jstrain
Founding Member

I think it tends to vary. I owned two earlier Sprint RSs (a 00 and an 01), and my 05 definitely gets hotter. I tend to notice it more on my legs though. However, in my reading, it seems that some people have no problem with it, while others can't stand it. Personally, mine gets a bit annoying at times, but I've never felt that it was too hot to ride.

As stated earlier, there is supposedly a heat shield you can get. I asked my dealer about it and he didn't know anything about it, but others have been able to get their hands on one. As mine is pretty bearable, I never looked further into the issue.

Whenever things start to heat up, I figure its just time to ride a bit faster
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

There is a heat shield under that seat. Advise- Buy another one and double them up. That should make the difference. As far as the Speed III question on the subject- The exhaust is only semi-covered by the tail section. I have never had a bad issue with heat because it has a place to vent.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
SmokeU
Registered Member

With proper heat shields heat is a non issue. Look at the mufflers on the 919 or VFR, one can drap soft bags over them without worries.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #10
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i know this is true, but it begs a followup question:

why not route the pipes where they don't NEED a heatshield, so that they can dissipate heat? face it ... sportbike riders, like cruiser riders, have become slaves to fashions. it looks cool to have pipes jutting out from underneath the seat so engineering gyrations are put into place to make it happen.

only eric buell had the cojones to put pipes where they ought to be, fashion be damned. and guess what ... he started a fashion trend!
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote