Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 07-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Cooling Problems with 1997 Triumph Adventurer.

The fan comes on when the coolant reaches a set temp. Maybe you haven't got it hot enough. Is it overheating-running bad? You didn't say...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
stlarson
Registered Member

Does the fan function in the same fashion as it does in a car, where it is connected to a sensor telling it to turn on and off? With a car you can disconnect the fan from that sensor and it will go into failover mode and run constantly. Between that and newer thermostats which fail open rather than closed (there was a genius idea), it's saved me on hot days a couple times.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
tbsrider2000
Founding Member

It took quite a bit of idling time before my fan would the temperature got hot enough to kick the fan on on my '00 Thunderbird Sport. I used to have to wait in long lines with it going to work and it would be a good 10-15 mins of idling along before the fan kicked in. The fan will only come on at a preset temperature. It will not be on all the time.

On Triumph classic triples, it is common for the temperature light and the fan to come on at the same time. This is not a problem. The light will go out as soon as the fan brings the coolant temperature down.

If just is not coming on at all, check all the wiring connections. I never had a problem with mine though.

I have a Rocket III now. That fan comes on in no time at all on these hot Texas days

La Vernia, TX
tbsrider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Tigercub
Founding Member

My little Speed 4 runs hot in my opinion. The fan comes on at 220 F to 225 F (105C to 106C).

Do you have a temperature gauge? Just watch that and see at what temperature the fan comes on. I wouldn't get too concerned if the fan doesn't come on until the temperature gets to about 230F.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
pattonme
Founding Member

T3's have VERY efficient radiators. I only had mine come on a handful of times and that was in 95+ heat and sitting idling for some time.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
sarnali
Founding Member

My Trophy used to come on after I shut the bike off on very hot days or sitting idling on hot days but with full body work you'd expect that

Try running a jumper from the battery to the fan and see if it come's on. Other than that some shops have a thermal imager that can be pointed at the radiator and see where your temperature is. or you can tape or hold a meat thermometer against the radiator and see what it says.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It will probably say don't be late for dinner.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Vulcan mind meld.

..that always works. It worked on those rock creatures, didn't it?

"Pain, I feel pain, and heat...ohhh the heat...I long for ole blighty...."
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

"why, you could fry an egg on the baby"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
saaz
Registered Member

I have an ST11 that also takes a while for the fan to cut in, as the temperature does not rise very quickly. Just to make sure it still works I leave the bike idle untill the fan cuts in and out a few times. If it does not cut in at all then you can worry about testing the temperature sensor, fan fuse and fan.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote