Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 02-23-2001, 05:08 PM   #1
MoMo
Founding Member

Default first post!! Ha Ha

beautiful!
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2001, 05:15 PM   #2
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Triumph Daytona Sneak Peek

Triumph, Aprilla, etc... etc.... what a great time to be a motorcyclist!
Old 02-23-2001, 05:18 PM   #3
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default It's not bad, but

it looks less exotic and less high-tech than the previous model! They seriously need a fairing designer over there, look at the TT600--and I'm a big fan of these bikes. The tail and headlight were the parts to keep on the old one, they looked great. They look boring and japanese now. And I know that the swingarm is a performance change, but is it really worth it? This bike has never been a really hard focused sport bike, and that's what I liked. Fast, but really streetable. The single sided swingarm looks fast and exotic, and makes tire changes easier which could really make a difference with no centerstand (like if you ever were stranded and had to tip it on it's side). And we know the single sided works well enough, even if it's not the lightest and strongest. I guess I wouldn't mind the swingarm change if they had at least made it better looking instead of boring looking (by comparison).
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 05:47 PM   #4
955tri
Registered Member

Well, I must admit I'm more fond of the looks of my '99 model, but I'm stoked about the new power numbers... the question is, can any of the new engine mods be adapted to the older engines, or (seeing as it looks like the frame is identical) will the new engine "drop in" to the older bikes!?! Regardless, I'm glad Triumph is in the game, although it may never be the lightest/fastest bike out there, the Daytona is a fantastic street bike.
955tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: It

Looks fairly impossible to rig a catch pan, with the way that fairing lower is set up.... Perhaps Air-Tech, Maier or Sharkskinz will come up with a totally revised lower that incorporates a catch pan. The factory lower obviously has no racing pretense to it.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:43 PM   #6
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: not bad I agree, in fact...

as a Triumph owner I'm impressed, but too bad the most impressive Triumph ever built also has to be the first one to look like yet another UJS --as in Universal Japanese Sportbike --instead of distinctive like a Triumph. My T'bird may not be near as fast but it does everything well, it's comfy, it turns more heads than chrome monuments costing twice as much and it looks like a British motorcycle "ought" to (IMHO that is and I know what opinions are the same as). So I guess I won't be trading it for a crotchrocket and if I did it would still have to be a Speed Triple.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:04 PM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Default They can hire designers, you know...

But they must be spending their money somewhere else.

I was very taken with the styling of the other Daytona, and the speed triple. But this thing? Ew!

It has over-buggy eyes, the frames the same, and it looks oddly enlongated. It reminds me of the way Iacocca kept streching the "K" car to make luxury models, until it looked ludicrous.

From the specs, it looks like this bike will put about 125 horses to the ground, and weigh in at 450-470 full of gas. That will put it firmly in 1998 ZX-9 territory. Way to go, Triumph! Another ground breaking victory! Way to stay slightly behind neck and neck!

I think Triumph is going too main-stream, attempting to fight the Japanese on their own turf. THey will always be behind, and they will always loose. They need to find their own direction, like Ducati.

THis bike will probably be a very durable, reliable, good-functioning bike with great handling, as soon as they work out the bugs and flaws that sem inevitable with Triumph's products. But they will never gain a signifigant market share with bizarely styled wannabee bikes like this and the TT600.

Please note I have nothing against Triumphs. I have nothing against them. I just feel their marketing and corporate direction are lacking. I hope they do better next time.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:17 PM   #8
LW
Founding Member

I would like to here peoples first hand accounts with Triumph's reliability and longevity, especially the 955 motored bike. I'm considering a 2001 Tiger but have heard horror stories about reliability and service. Are they good bike? Any info would be appreciated.

As far as the new Daytona's styling, from the pictures I don't care for it. Maybe it will look better in person, the old one does.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:24 PM   #9
LW
Founding Member

Make that HEAR and lets put an S on BIKE.

I hate people like myself that don't proof read.
LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:31 PM   #10
VFRider
Registered Member

As an owner of a VFR, I hate to see the single-sided swingarm go. They look great and make tire changes soooo easy.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote