Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #31
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Er, sort of...

I don't think the issue here is racing per se. It's about the relative performance of the different bikes and whether one manufacturer has "cheated" to gain an edge. People just want an accurate frame of reference to know whether apples are being compared to apples or oranges. For better or for worse, the displacement inequality is usually discussed within the framework of racing regulations because they have, for the most part, shaped the definition--or, really, the perception--of what a middleweight sportbike should be: 600cc I-4s.

When some people hear 675cc, they tend to assume that Triumph needed extra displacement to reach the same performance levels as a 600cc-four. Well, that is misleading . They built a triple, which can't rev to the moon, but is probably a more useable engine. The extra 75cc mitigates the lack of four cylinders. The triple flows roughly the same amount of air that a 600 I-4 and a 750 twin do. Therefore they are all roughly comparable.

As to the rules, I'd guess that the reason why they're are no existing rules allowing 675cc triples is because no one was building them. The Supersport rules seem to be derived from the fact that all of the major factories were building 600cc I-4s and the production racing rules were built around what already existed. Then Duc came out with the 748 twin and it was allowed in. Maybe Sean or another MOron staffer or member can confirm or deny this assumption.

In regard to Triumph's stance on the rules, they're not going racing and insist that the bike isn't a race platform (although its performance seems to suggest otherwise). But it seems probably that, at least in part, they chose the 675 displacement with the intent that someone (perhaps even the factory in the future) would want to race it. WSS made a statement on the eligibility of the D675, saying that it wouldn't change the rules this year for one manufacturer (likely because Triumph is not fielding a factory team, therefore contributing no money or promotion for the series). So someone must have asked the question. I'm also suspect that the Big 4 and Duc (big contributors to the series) might not be happy if there's even a slight chance that a non-factory D675 could become reasonably competitive. But the Triumph does seem to fit nicely within the spirit of the current rules, if not the letter.

Of course, any of this could change in the future.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #32
monsters4
Registered Member

Default Re: Daytona 675 Found!

You folks going to cover the spent clutch?
monsters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #33
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Daytona 675 Kleenex

Yeah JB, I'm sure they'll be lining up outside the well lit and spacious MO office in droves to hand over their new financed 600 supersport bikes to magazine tester types who wear ruined knee pucks and buffalo wing stained leathers.

"Oh, they all make that noise after you break 'em in..."
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #34
maladg
Registered Member

cue theme from "Brokeback Mt"...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #35
Tigercub
Founding Member

What ya got?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #36
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona 675 Kleenex

nobody ever went broke overestimating the bad taste of the american public.

u could probly expand to include bad judgment. who could resist personal instruction by SA?

now if you'll all sign these standard disclaimers, folks...

Don Canet really likes 675 in new Cycle World i am already sold on it racetrack shmacetrack...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #37
GHam
Registered Member

Maybe you should post a link for Ole-aid,

We can start the contributions rolling for first biffed bike of 2006
GHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #38
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Daytona six seventy five

Yes, kind of like going on a trail ride with people from work. Might turn out ok but probably not.

According to your former place of employment the 675 "Redefines the middlewight sportbike class."

Mighty big words. Let's hope the MO testers stock up on clutch and ignition covers.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #39
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Daytona six seventy five

O was that B Catterson? yeah i think i read that also. Canet tends to be slightly less hyperbolic than the rest of them tho, and really discerning. if he gives thumbs up it is good... also much more torquey at low rpm than a 600, that is enuf for me right there that and the racket triples make...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #40
BillyO
Registered Member

Gosh,a life time sub. to MO.Wanna do track day for my Road Glide ?

BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote