Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 07-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this the new Daytona 675?

I thought they were doing an 800 triple ?? Also I wonder if they're going to replace the 955 ?

It wouldn't suprise me if it looked a bit like the Kawasaki as it seems they use the same brake/fork/wheel suppliers. I would love to own one if they do it right. I've been eyeing the speed triple over at my local dealer since they came in.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
Equalizer
Registered Member

Go to www.t595.net and read through the rumor threads and then decide ..... Triumph honchos review that site frequently and post under psudonyms which make it interesting .....

Think about what they have in their line-up now and then ask yourself why would they want a 675cc Triple?? When they have done a good job on a 650cc four.
Equalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
Gippy
Founding Member

Isnt triumph in part owned by kawasaki anyways?

But yeah, i think as a triumph owner, im glad to see triumph stepping up to the plate and showing a little originality and innovation, and giving those japanese manufacturers a reason to watch their heels. Im also wondering if triumph will replace the 955i. I myself own a centenial 955 and i am hoping theyre planning on using the new 1050 engine that they use for the new sprints.
Gippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

The 650 isn't up to race performance, according to all the reviews I've seen. Maybe the Company wants to go racing.

AFA the 955 Daytona, all the poop I've seen is that the new Big Daytona will be a four, since again, the triple liter size mill can't, for some reason, make it against either the twins or the fours.

Concerning the "second bike", it would make a lot of sense for the new Trophy to come back. It would be relatively easy to build one off the Rocket III powertrain and chassis. Lord knows power wouldn't be a problem!

Off-topic, RANT ON...

By the way, you guys know how much I love my Sprint, but yesterday I helped a buddy install the bag kit on his '05 model.

I give the mounting kit an "A", but the bags are CRAP! If you put a FF helmet in just-the-right-way, it fills the bag.

The lids are way flimsy, and do not engage the seal even when the bags are empty. The new bags are a big step backward from the former models, mounts excepted.

Another b1tch is the bag kit goes for around $1K. The colored "inserts", which are the painted covers, are not included, and they cost another $150!

RANT OFF

Have a happy and safe 4th, y'all!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Bags 'o sh*t

Hmmm, there's rumors of a bag redesign for the Sprint, too. This could explain why.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
pdad13
Founding Member

Here's the biggest reason: Because it allows Triumph to avoid direct comparision to the Japanese I-4s.

The 650 I-4 will always be seen as a band-aid and not up to the level of the competition, even though it's a fantastic bike. "Triumph had to add 50ccs of displacement to get into the same ballpark as the Japanese (minus Kawi) and the bike is still rated as last in class" is what the typical 600SS buyer is probably thinking. Silly? Maybe, but ask yourself who buys most of these bikes.

The triple will at least give them something unique and signature in the middleweight market and might offer some real advantages. Plus, Triumph has much more experience with the 3-cylinder engine than the fours.

Of course, all of this is rumor and speculation anyway. With all of the guessing and information/disinformation, we really don't have a clear idea of what's truth. That's usually the way the manufactures like it.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
pdad13
Founding Member

I never heard anything about an 800. Originally, the talk was about a 750. The lastest, most persistent rumors suggest a 680 or 675. This would seem to make sense if Triumph was considering going racing again. But I've got to wonder whether that was a inference based on wishful thinking by people that were hoping Triumph would re-enter Supersport with a new bike.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
ikonoklass
Founding Member

The 4-cylinder 650 Daytona is going bye-bye. You won't see a 4-cylinder literbike version of the Daytona, either. Twins and triples are Triumph's bread and butter. If they were interested in another 4-cylinder, they wouldn't have pulled the plug on the "Hayabusa Killer." Look for the new 675cc Daytona in September, along with a 1530cc Bonneville, based on a 2-cylinder version of the existing Rocket III engine.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
pdad13
Founding Member

I don't know about ownership. Anyone else know? I've heard that Kawi and Triumph do share tech and parts. There was even talk that the original test mules were in ZX-6R frames. I don't really know how much of that is true.

I've also heard that a Triumph rep has stated that there will never be a 1050 Daytona. Again, take that for what it's worth.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
pdad13
Founding Member

Default No four for the big Daytona.

Everything seems to indicate that Triumph does not want to take on the 4-cylinder bikes directly. I mean, look at the emphasis of the Triple on the new ST.

I think it would be a sound marketing strategy to offer something unique instead of constantly playing catch-up to the Japanese. They'd always be seen as being behind.