Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 05-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #21
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

Default Re: My new "old" Daytona 955i

Glad to read a story about a great roadbike. Of course it won't post the same kind of performance numbers as the last few generations of the 4 cyl literbikes, but so what? None of them can match the sound of that triple and if you can really use more than 130bhp on the street, you are a way better rider than I am! (which is probably true anyway).

I also have an 02 Daytona, the red one with the SSSA. You didn't mention if you put an aftermarket pipe on yours, but if you haven't, you really should. You might not gain much power, but the improvement in "aural pleasure" makes it completely worth it!

I'm also an NYer. Where do you go riding in the area?
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #22
pdad13
Founding Member

I did mention that I've got the stock exhaust, but it was a small nod. I almost had the dealer fit an aftermarket, but I wasn't sure which one would be the best. There aren't too many choices for that bike, and from the research I did, some of the cans actually hurt the midrange performance significantly.

What have you got on yours?

I ride mostly on Long Island--North Shore, South Shore and sometimes out on the forks. Not the best venue, but there are some decent back roads if you know where to look. And, of course, Ocean Pkwy on the south shore is God's own dragstrip if you're into that sort of thing. (The races are every Sunday.) When I have time I get up north a bit, but believe it or not, I've never done Bear Mountain. Maybe this summer.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #23
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Forgot about the performance

MCN did a test fairly recently where the compared the 955i with an '03 ZX-9 (another great roadbike I considered) and a Superhawk. Yes, MCN is a UK pub, but it has a history of not being particulary kind to Triumph. The Superhawk was a bit out of its league, but they declared the Daytona the clear winner. The ZX-9 had more motor, but the Daytona was a much better handler.

So while I don't think the Daytona would be tops in a fight with a 954, a last-gen R-1, and the old monster GSX-R, I think it could hold its own. Yes, maybe the best it could do is fourth place, but it's not so far off. Of course, an '05 Gixxer 750 would have its way with D955i.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #24
Aero_Mongoose
Founding Member

Thanks for taking the time to put together this review. I've been looking at Triumphs for a while now and am hoping to get my first one in the next few months. The new Daytona 650 has been looking pretty good to me, but a discounted 955 would be very tempting as well. A pair of questions for you:

1) I've heard it stated (by others as well as yourself) that the D955 is relatively comfortable for a sport bike. What are your dimensions? I'm on the almost-short side at 5'8" and therefore a little more sensitive to things like the reach to the clip-ons and a little less bothered by leg room.

2) What has been your observed fuel mileage? This is a number that is hard to get a hold on, as different magazines will have pretty varied results. It'd be nice to get a data point from a different perspective.

To any who'd care to enlighten me, is it my imagination, or do the liter bikes tend to get better fuel economy than the 600's?

Again, great review.

AM
Aero_Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #25
pdad13
Founding Member

I'm only about an inch or so taller than you, but I do have fairly long legs and arms for my height. My inseam about 31" , maybe a smidge more. You might feel a little stretched, but I don't think it'll be too bad. I'd recommend a sit test.

I'm sure the D650 ergos are more compact, but it is the roomiest of the 600s. It certainly looks bigger than the other 6s. I did sit on one, but I don't really remember how it fit. It's a really nice bike.

I haven't kept an accurate tally on the fuel mileage, and because of some crappy weekend weather lately, much of my riding has been commuting with lots of lights and traffic. So I'm not sure I'd have a good average number, anyway. Most of the numbers I've seen in the mags are somewhere in the neighborhood of 37-40 mpg.

Maybe the 600s are not getting as good fuel mileage because they're usually spinning at significantly higher RPMs, while the literbikes can carry higher gears. (Although the Honda twins--RC51 and Superhawk--are gas pigs.) I don't know if that compensates enough for the difference in engine displacement to explain poorer mileage. I don't really know the answer. That's a good question for MO.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 AM   #26
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

Been on Ocean Pkwy several times, mostly when heading to Moses St Park. A truly beautiful ride and shockingly devoid of traffic. I may have slightly exceeded the speed limit there once...Of course there is such a ridiculous amount of traffic between NYC and there that I usually avoid going. Used to get my service done at Gold Coast in NHP, so got out to the Island more. Bear Mtn has some nice corners and great scenery, but the stretches are short and get crowded with cars on summer weekends. Lots of bikes head up there. There's some other good roads up there too 9W, 202, 17A. You should try some of the roads north of White Plains, 22, 116, 121, up thru the northern parts of Westchester and into Putnam county.

I put an MHP high level can on mine to clean up the rear. Didn't really do much for performance, but it sounds & looks great, so it was worth it. Put a bigger sprocket on back for a little more snap, you're probably not going to top out in 6th anyway. 15/45 makes a nice combo.
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:21 AM   #27
Equalizer
Registered Member

Great story!

I have a '02 Daytona CE and an '02 Daytona DSSA converted to a race bike. I also have a '03 Sprint ST for cruising duty and an '02 GSXR 1000 fully race prepped Superbike.

I love the Triumphs and The Dealer is Awesome. D&D Cycles in Pensacola, FL (850) 456-0354 - Rob McLendon.

I am on average about 1.5 - 2 seconds faster on the GSXR at Barber and Jennings GP but at Talladega GPR they are about dead even.

The only complaint I have is a desolate after market.
Equalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 AM   #28
Equalizer
Registered Member

On my 02 CE I have the Triumph CF Race can and Race Tune installed.

On my 02 Daytona Race Bike I have a Two Brothers Racing can. Really great sound and fair performance boost of about 2hp and the VP U4 Race gas makes about 4 extra ponies. I also have the Race tune installed in it from Triumph and I am dabbling in the Tuneboy software and race tunes from www.tuneboy.com.au .

Also good to foolow tried and true mods on www.t595.net seach for whatever mod you are considering and surely enough someone has tried it.
Equalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:42 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Good read, Dude.

Forget the caveats about the Trumpet not being the latest and greatest. After all, todays latest and greatest whatever is going to be obsolete and a subject of derision by the nutzoids in a few months. You at least saved a whole pile of greenbacks.

The measure is whether or not you are grinning like a KPaul at a schizophrenics' convention. It looks like you are.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 AM   #30
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Just Wondering

I was checking out the 02 955, on the MO website and I noticed something cool, there is no mid-fairing. Instead, under an attractive and small top fairing, there is about a half-acre of plastic - just waiting to be removed and placed safely, out of harm's way, in the garage. The result being, instant naked-bike! So IÂ’ve been wondering; what does your bike look-like with the lower faring removed? And if you are going to a track day, are you planing to remove the faring and possibly installing some frame sliders?

I have selfish reasons for asking this. I love the Speed Triple (and naked street fighters, in general) but I donÂ’t like the idea of no wind protection and the S 3Â’s bug-eyed headlights make me nauseous. Consequently, to me, a stripped-down version of the 955 sounds like a practical alternative and a big discount sounds nice, too.