Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 05-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #11
jjasper
Founding Member

Default Re: My new "old" Daytona 955i

I miss my 1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport very much. Amazingly that monster was my first bike. I had actually ordered another and the day I went to pick it up they had a leftover 98 t-bird sport on yellow and black with those beautiful twin upswept pipes. I jumped on it like a the quarterback on a drunk cheerleader and actually saved a lot of money in the process.

The dealer ship experience was great and many people just hung out there, unfortunately they went out of business because there wasn't much interest in Triumph. In all the time I owned that bike I never saw another on the road and still have not. I wish I could have kept it, but at the time money was tight so when I got a new bike I had to sell it. The triple made a sweet sounds and pulled like a runaway bull. No chopper or custom cruiser comes close to the unique beauty that was that bike.

She was sold to get a much more friendly but ultimately more boring SV-650 Yes, a sad, sad story.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2005, 04:06 AM   #12
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Why so humble?

My feeling is, it didn't read like ad-copy (SUDDENLY, I was transported into a different world...Yadda, yadda, yadda) and that was cool.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 AM   #13
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Why so humble?

Well, my objective, whenever possible, is to not make it sound like ad copy--even if I'm writing an ad. Thanks.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

No, you don't have to disassemble the fairing. In fact, the upside of the sort of unfinished looking interior of the top fairing is that it gives you direct access to the lights.

As for your S3, check ebay. There are usually a few examples of that era bike on there pretty regularly. If you can find one that's fairly local, you're in.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:28 AM   #15
triumph900
Founding Member

1st valve check is at 6K miles, after that, every 12K miles.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

Great story pdad13, it's not just the 3's that sound "industrial" My 4cyl. Trophy sounds like a diesel at idle as well, I think it's because Triumph uses thinner castings to reduce weight. who knows... I think it sounds cool, I'd like to get a Bonnieville because I like the classic look, but a Tiger would be cool as well.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #17
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Nice article pdad13. The Daytona is a pretty bike. I wish you the best of luck.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #18
pdad13
Founding Member

I think that has to do with the fact that your 4 cylinder engine is a derivative of the old Daytona 1200 engine. And I believe the 1200 was basically the 900cc triple with an extra cylinder grafted on. So you've just got a bigger freakin' diesel! That is so cool.

I don't think the reason is thinner castings, though. I heard one of the service techs at my dealer complaining about how overbuilt the Triumphs were compared with the more elegant Ducati designs. Actually, one of the articles I read on the new Sprint ST--the same one that coined "Kenworth Effect"--gave a reason for it. I don't remember what it was, but it was mechanical. Of course, I don't know if they were correct. I'll have to look it up.

I posted this on the Triumph sales thread, but I'm not sure you caught it: Triumph is said to be developing a 1500cc Bonneville with a derivative of the Rocket 3 motor. They apparently lopped off one cylinder, turned the whole thing ninety degrees and, voila, a parallel twin. A prototype has been seen running around in England.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #19
brummerc
Registered Member

I must agree with all the other respondents in saying that this is a great "real life" story.

I have never personally ridden a Daytona, but I recently had the privelege of having a ride on the new Sprint ST 1050. This is truely a great bike with tremendous sound effects...

I hope you enjoy the 955i!
brummerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #20
SRMark
Founding Member

Ride that thing down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then go home and tell us how the 955 did. You write well.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote