Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 01-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
iamz
Founding Member

Try and relax people. Most companies loose money every so often. The company I work for looses money every few years for a quarter or two and then comes back into profit. It's been doing that for 40 years. It's called, the business cycle.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Seeing Red Ink

i hear they make mobile beer stools better.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #13
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re:

i would guess that you're probly right...they seem to have some solid products at good prices, i think the only thing that can do them in is a drop in ridership.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Triumph will do ok. I think the Rocket was a good move. It just hasn't had time to pay off yet. The ONLY move I question, was getting into 600 supersports. A losing proposition by any measure. The new Sprint and Speed Triple look fantastic. That Speed Triple could make me a Triumph owner again. Would have loved it if we could have gotten one for the Streetfighter Shootout, and when they show at the dealer, I will be first in line for a ride on one of them.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #15
JO-aikido
Registered Member

Well, I am a Canadian. Our dollar has been doing great relative to the US recently. Harleys and Buells all cost more than a thousand less here today than they did a year ago.

As for Triumph, I still can't afford even a basic Bonneville, so I won't be helping them out though I am currently shopping for a bike and a Bonnie would be close to what I would like to have. No. It's the used Japanese cruiser market for this poor boy with a big new mortgage.

There is no doubt that we need the US economy more than it need us, but that is a question of size, not of relative sanity in government. But if Americans want a leader that runs up a huge deficit and tears apart the economy yet has the nerve to call himself a fiscal conservative, so be it. And don't forget that we're one of your biggest trading partners too.
JO-aikido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:55 PM   #16
dylanmo
Founding Member

Don't kid yourself about the influence the president has on the economy. The Prez (any of 'em) would lurve/lurved to have the relative power of a Canadian or UK PM. I didn't vote for Bush, but anyone who votes for a president based on the current health of an economy is pretty much brick-ignorant.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #17
Outlander
Founding Member

So I read the great reviews on the Speed 4 last Spring, took a local demo for a test ride, found it really was more fun than a barrel 'o monkeys, decided to buy one, then waited and waited as they searched all dealerships east of the Mississippi for a black one. There were none so they checked to the west and again, nothing.

I liked the pix so I decided to check into the Thunderbird Sport. Nothing at the 5 dealerships in my region.

I was left with the impression the dealer network had a lot of leftover inventory they wanted to unload before getting too deep into the '04s. I wonder how many other sales were lost because of dealer hedging.

As to the '05 model line, I think its a smart move to migrate away from the 600 class. I don't know the economics behind being the winner there, but it seems to be a huge drain on the rest of the model line. I continue to be impressed by the YZF-R6, for example, but have been frustrated by Yamaha leaving the FZ1 untouched for 5 years or not improving on complaints with the FZ6.

Anyway, I'd shop a Daytona hard because they weren't jumping out of dealerships last summer.

The Speed 3 looks pretty neat and may even help legitmize Buell's stubby look. Look for that rear fender assembly coming soon to a landfill near you.

The Rocket III is too easy to imagine in John Deere green and yellow. I've also been wondering why I've yet to see any Triumph cruisers on the road.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #19
nollan
Founding Member

Triumph gambled on the rocket. While everyone marvelled it's arrival, but in terms of sales it might fall short of its objectives. Americans is crazy for big torque and horses but it usually has to come in a familiar package - a V-twin. Visually the Rocket is a bit of an oddball and may take a while to get used to. The after market could do wonders and transformed the rocket or it could be another Vulcan story - butt ugly at first but they improved on subsequent models and became no 1 in sales for metric cruisers. Nevertheless, thumbs up for the Brit bike manufacturer for the engineering masterpiece.

nollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:32 PM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

I understand the economics behind some of Triumph's past decisions. I really hate to see such great machines discounted so deep and still remain on the sales floor. The '04 daytonas are at $8999 + another $500 and the new S3 may push the "old" one to $7k. The new bikes are hitting the used bike prices. I hope Triumph keeps on making such a wide range of great bikes.( I haven't owned one.....yet)
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote