Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: New Triumphs Break Cover

I just realized that I really need one of those new Speed Triples. Are those Ohlin forks? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

That new Speed Triple is lookin good, and their bike linup for 05 looks impressive. Now all Triumph has to do is drop the Daytona's displacement from 650 to 000, and they will be on track to ditch the only loser in the lineup. The experiment has failed and it's time they forgot about the 600's and concentrate on what they do best.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

The Speed Triple is even uglier than ever.

I like it.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default The Future of the Daytona

from what rumors I've heard/read, the Daytona will see another bump in capacity in the next year or two. Triumph is supposedly developing a new engine for it, which would be a 750cc triple. If that does come to pass, I can see no argument against it. Who wouldn't want a 750cc triple in a package that handles as well as they Daytona supposedly does. I would say that it doesn't even need to approach full-on Gixxer levels, but I think 120 rwhp should be pretty nice.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The Future of the Daytona

I still believe that 750cc is about the optimum displacement for public roads performance. The GSXR750, in practical terms, is as fast as your gonna be able to go. I doubt that the vast majority of riders who buy the liter-class sportbikes are any faster than they would be on the 750 (or the 600s for that matter). But I guess there's better bragging rights at the Burger Barn with a CBR1000 than a GSXR750.

If Triumph would put some competition back into the 750 class, that would be a good thing. Especially since the Triumphs have a history of better ergonomics in their Daytonas. It seems that the sportbike shootouts always end up with comments by the reviewers that, even though the Gixxers and Yammers and Hondas may be a bit faster, if they had to spend their own money they'd buy a Triumph.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Steven_Verschoor
Founding Member

Here's another picture of the new Speed Triple...

Anybody else see a resemblance to the Buell's aggresive and stubby lines?
Or is it more like an English MT03?

Whatever it is, I like it!</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

I don't care for the rear fender on the S3, everything else looks cool though

What I like is putting the 900 engine in the T100, it's like getting a Thruxton with decent ergos !!!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Default Too Many (Wrong) Creases

Yup, the Speed Triple sports the same "Phuck Off" attitude as always and that's a good thing.

But, WOW! I reallly liked the Sprint ST and even had a fondness for the previous generation's smooth lines in a sea of origami. But no more...for the most part, I'm a function over form guy, but the new ST is way over-the-top and well into Fugly, far as I can tell.

I guess the Daytona 600 set the trend for more creases than a game a naked lezbian twister, which mind you, is a great thing when viewed from any angle, but its just not the same with bikes, imho.

Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #9
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Yup...if imitation is the sincereist form of flattery, then from a simple design perspective, Buell should appreciate Triumph's homage. Obviously this isn't including such innovative features like gas in frame and oil in swingarm.

Now, if only Buell would return the favor and put a 1050cc-blunt-force-trauma-liquid-cooled-triple in that chassis of theirs we'd have a real horse race...
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Looks like a Sat-Nav mounted on the ST.

Also, those are ugly cans on the speed.

The red Daytona, with the union jack on the fairing looks pretty sexy, I hope they keep that in production. Always thought that was a nice treatment on Brit bikes.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote