Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 09-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Default Too Many (Wrong) Creases

Yup, the Speed Triple sports the same "Phuck Off" attitude as always and that's a good thing.

But, WOW! I reallly liked the Sprint ST and even had a fondness for the previous generation's smooth lines in a sea of origami. But no more...for the most part, I'm a function over form guy, but the new ST is way over-the-top and well into Fugly, far as I can tell.

I guess the Daytona 600 set the trend for more creases than a game a naked lezbian twister, which mind you, is a great thing when viewed from any angle, but its just not the same with bikes, imho.

Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #14
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Default Re: New Triumphs Break Cover

Yup...if imitation is the sincereist form of flattery, then from a simple design perspective, Buell should appreciate Triumph's homage. Obviously this isn't including such innovative features like gas in frame and oil in swingarm.

Now, if only Buell would return the favor and put a 1050cc-blunt-force-trauma-liquid-cooled-triple in that chassis of theirs we'd have a real horse race...
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:08 AM   #15
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Looks like a Sat-Nav mounted on the ST.

Also, those are ugly cans on the speed.

The red Daytona, with the union jack on the fairing looks pretty sexy, I hope they keep that in production. Always thought that was a nice treatment on Brit bikes.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:20 AM   #17
tshelver
Registered Member

Default Re: New Triumphs Break Cover: ST

I rather like the ST...

But then I also like the current Viffer and Futura.
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #18
waepoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Too Many (Wrong) Creases

I also really like(d) the current Sprint lines, although I think the new model could be a winner. From the various shots, it looks like a Futura done right ... angular, but not oblong in weird places. I'm not sure what to make of the underseat exhaust, tho. It looks something like the Multistrada's faux cans, of which I am not a fan.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:40 AM   #19
kowalke67
Founding Member

Odd man out here I guess but I'm not digging on the new S3 or ST in the looks department. The S3 looks like a dog that got kicked in the butt. The ST lost it's pretty curves.

Pictures never seem to do bikes justice though so I'll reserve making any final judgment until I see them in the flesh. I for sure like the 1050 engines. Don't need a picture of that (except of the dyno chart).
Old 09-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #20
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Funny thing: no pics of a new 955 or 1050 Daytona.

I wonder if sales were lagging enough so they decided to keep the agressive Sp3 and a nice enough ST to fill the empty area that the big Daytona will leave.

May not be an unwise decision to kiss that particular model goodbye. As much as I like the Daytona there may not be a place for it anymore. A speedy goodlooking ST may just be what most customers not wanting an R1 are looking for.

Does anybody care for a 1050 Sp3 with silver frame and wheels or am I the only one?
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote