Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 08-05-2004, 05:45 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph (America) Sets Sales Record

You sure that wasn't KP test riding a Victory?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2004, 05:47 AM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

Dealer meeting is next month. Supposedly the Sprint ST is getting a re-do (after only five years and one engine upgrade). One rumor I heard is the next Touring rig will be based on the Rocket III architecture (no timeline for its intro). Not surprising, given their habit of cross-platform applications.

I couldn't be happier with my second ST, and I have never heard of anyone with a problem with their bike. Great build quality.

So Sean, when are you going to give us a write-up on the Thruxton (with the normal pipe and breather mods) and RIII? Inquiring minds want to know how they hold up to a good thrashing.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:08 AM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I had a '59 XK150. Sometimes the carbs would work, sometimes they wouldn't.

When it would quit idling, I'd have to get out of the car, open the monstrous hood, and take those little piston thingamabobs out of the tops of the SU's, pump them up and down a few times, and screw 'em back in. It would then idle for a couple days, maybe.

It also handled like a BUDA, and shifted about as good. I sold the car to some guy with a big purple hat, with a green feather stuck in it.

Good riddance.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:15 AM   #24
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

My ex owned a MG midget, without a doubt one of the most poorly concieved mechanical devices ever built. I hadn't experienced so many "interupted" trips since I got rid of the Victor. In comparison a Yugo seemed as reliable as a Checker Marathon. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine years ago offered to help his little sister keep whatever car she bought running. She was 17 and looking for her first car.

She bought a Sunbeam Alpine.

We never stopped laughing at the guy. Every stinking weekend and some week nights he'd be tinkering on that POS.

He finally bought it from her, helped her get a VW and sold the Sunbeam to some other fish. He said it was worth eating a grand (in 70's dollars).

He was right.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When I was a kid, my mom and uncle both owned Mini-Coopers.

My mom had an 850, and I remember one time, driving back from the beach, when the insulation melted off the rats-nest of wires under the minimal dashboard, and started dripping flaming plastic drops of insulating material on our bare feet.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:05 AM   #27
Tigercub
Founding Member

Good job Triumph. Now let's get to business shall we.

The next bike you need to make is a replacement for the Daytona, Sprint series. Something with a 1400cc motor, styling like the Daytona and ergos like the Sprint. Just make one of those. The Daytona, Sprint RS and ST can be combined into one for all the interest they've generated (or lack therof).

A touring bike built off the Rocket 3 motor or the new Daytona 1400 motor you're going to build.

Next, you need to bring in a supermotard bike that can be used as a dual purpose bike. Single cylinder, about 650cc and very (very very) light! Trials tires will do. Make this one convertable to decent trail bike, street bike or motard bike with changes to tires and gearing as desired. It can't be that tough.

Finally, you need to take the Daytona 600 seriously. We really need to add a 5th 600-4 to the SS grids. I realize it may be a big risk trying to bring spotty kids into your showrooms, but you can't rely on us old geezers to buy your bikes. We're old geezers and we're starting to spend our money on health care. Tick, tick, tick...
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Belstaff has waxed cotton arm chaps, those and a pair of RAF flying boots would look good.

Davida is selling cork and leather lined pudding bowls again in a dandy chequered flag motiff. An Italian flag design is also available for when you play Agostini on your Brutale.

It's a bold fashion statement few could carry off !
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:56 AM   #29
RidinDawgDoc
Registered Member

I too am happy to hear of Triumphs sales success. However, I sincerely hope that their dealer support and parts supply equal the sales progress. My 97 tiger was a great bike and if not for a chain breaking and causing case damage I never would have gotten to sample how poorly those divisions of Triumph function. After reading the results of the Triumph survey in MCN I was definetly not the only one to be dissatisified with the above.

If the parts distribution and dealer support can improve or have improved I may once again proudly fly the Union Jack on a new Triumph.
RidinDawgDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #30
maladg
Registered Member

I'm with Longride on this one....and add this: fit & finish, fit & finish!

I'm pulling for their success, too. Competition is great for all in the long run.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote