Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Triumph News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/triumph-news/)
-   -   Triumph Thruxton Cafe Racer (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/triumph-news/2119-triumph-thruxton-cafe-racer.html)

Gabe 09-19-2003 05:50 AM

Whoopee!

And if you pay $20,000 and don't mind waiting 18 months, you might actually get one!

seruzawa 09-19-2003 05:53 AM

Re: Triumph Thruxton Cafe Racer

I knew that would get you.

I know I know. Wishful thinking. I just would really like to see it happen 'cause I'd like to pick up a basket case project for cheap like you used to be able to do. $8000 for really ratty crappy Shovelheads are a bit much for me.

But if the bubble does burst I'm looking to get a screaming deal on a Speed Triple. That's quite possible.

seruzawa 09-19-2003 06:02 AM

Re: Hooray!

I doubt that I could post anything that wouldn't be misinterpreted by you Gabe. You can hardly compare a few lean years for the m/c industry to the Great Depression. They charge the moon when they can get away with it so why should I get teary-eyed when they miscalculate and have to give steep discounts on new bikes which in turn depresses the used bike market?

Anyhoo, I don't care about the dearth of new models. I very seldom buy new bikes anyhow. I like to cash in on the busts when they occur.

There is a boom/bust cycle in business and it's going to hit the motorcycle market just like it would any other. The trick is knowing when.

mscuddy 09-19-2003 06:03 AM

Re: Whoopee!

Well, it looks neat, anyway. Too bad they can't "mass produce" it.

Always dug the way the cylinders looked on Snortons.

Wonder if it has "isolastic" engine mounts?

seruzawa 09-19-2003 06:07 AM

I agree, I just think the used Harley market is completely nuts. I hope that it returns to a rational level before I'm too old to pick up a ratty old shovelhead to restore. I've looked at a couple but the prices being demanded for HDs that need major rework are ridiculous.

And leave off the jokes about all Harleys needing major rework. We already know that.

seruzawa 09-19-2003 06:09 AM

Re: Whoopee!

Well, if you want to pay 20K for a bike, better one of those than a rebadged Harley.... er I mean Indian.

And certainly not everyone on the block would own one just like yours.

BobW 09-19-2003 06:29 AM

Older brother is a Triumph man. Here is his response:

Lot of the guys on the NTB forum have done most of this themselves - remove the airbox, rejet the carbs, and put open pipes on it for 10 hp and better sound. Add upgraded shocks and breaks for better handling. And 600cc sportsbikes still would eat it for breakfast. Honda sells a 400cc inline 4 in the UK that they call the Baby Blade. It would probalby smoke the Thruxton. So, what's the point? Style, I guess.

Buzglyd 09-19-2003 07:03 AM

I'd like to find a nice used MV Agusta F4 that I could park in my garage to look at.

Buzglyd 09-19-2003 07:05 AM

I've already rebuilt my geezer glide 3 times and I just got it in February!

Gabe 09-19-2003 07:13 AM

Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed?

Or were you just born that way? Seriously, the bust in the motorcycle actually IS comprable to the Great Depression if you have a large stake in the motorcycle industry like I (or the hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working people struggling for low pay in the motorcycle industry)do. But, hey, I don't expect any conservative (or fascist) to have any REAL compassion.

As far as dealers and OEM's charging the moon- huh? The factories spend millions and millions on R and D and charge a pittance for sportbikes and standards with amazing technology and capability. They don't sell that many, either, even in a boom, compared to cars. $11000 for a GSXR1000? And it will outhandle and perform any car you could buy for 10 times that? Or $7999 for a super-cool looking retro Triumph that will run relaibly for years and years and outperform the most tricked-out vintage Triumph? Most of the bikes I sold at the dealership I worked at were put on Visa cards!

Maybe Harley charges to-the-moon prices, but do you know what? They aren't really part of the motorcycle industry. They are their own thing, like snowmobiles or jetskis, so they don't really count.

They are a lot less comprable than comparisions between the Great Depression and economic cycles in the motorcycle industry!