Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 07-30-2003, 05:24 AM   #11
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph 2.3 Cruiser

Well, judging by the spy photos I've seen of it, if they produce that exact bike that I saw it definitely does not meet criteria number one for a cruiser, which is styling, so it won't sell. I also doubt that the mileage for a 2300cc inline three would be anywhere near 40mpg- probably more like 25-30 if they want to get any performance out of it. Their current bikes are in the high thirties or low forties right now, and that will only decrease as displacement increases.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2003, 05:25 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

Now that every one have jumped on to the "cubic inch war" it seems only fitting that the european and british bikes follow. The fact is, this bike will sell. Don't expect big sales numbers like when the Valk or VTX appeared, but I bet Triumph won't be disappointed. Anyway, now that the standard Valk is going away (for a little while) big guys like myself need a bike that doesn't make us look like we're riding Honda Dreams. If Triumph can keep the price south of $12k I'd run down to Atlanta Triumph tomorrow and give them some dead presidents.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:28 AM   #13
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah, all 500-1000 bikes they are making for the whole year- whoopee! I'll bet Honda sells that many VTXs in a month during the summer.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:34 AM   #14
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Not Honda dreams...

Honda Acid Trips!
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:34 AM   #15
ShawnVegas
Founding Member

IIRC, the old spy shots of the 2.3 cruiser actually used the Valkyrie frame and alot of Valkyrie components(forks, etc..) since the engine is about the same length that the flat-6 in the Valkyrie is. I guess the Valkyrie frame made for an easy test bed.

I would assume a production version would be a little smaller than the Valkyrie, but who knows? I like the direction Triupmh is heading.
ShawnVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:41 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

At least Triumph is giving something different a go, but if it ends up looking like THIS MESS then they can keep it.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:48 AM   #17
Tri2Fly
Registered Member

I understand that the Triumph ad campaign celebrity spokesman will be Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers films.
Tri2Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:04 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

YIKES! What did they do? Hire the drunken janitor who styled the BMW 1200C?

Europeans just don't seem to be able to style cruisers worth a damm. Remember the Norton Hi-Rider or the Ducati Indiana?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:09 AM   #19
lesmesa
Founding Member

Latest word is Honda's not ruling out further production of the Rune, but I agree with the assesment of the big Triumph's looks - all the spy shots I've seen were hideous. What they need imho, is to put that big@ss 2.3 into a replacement for the Trophy (one that's not near as ugly as the upcoming bike, OR the Trophy)
lesmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:34 AM   #20
theDuke
Founding Member

Seems to me that Triumph should give up on making these cruisers (is anyone actually buying the Bonneville America? I've yet to see one on the road) and make a cafe-racer version of the standard Bonneville. How about upgrated shocks, lower handlebars, dual disk brakes, etc.

I just see no brand consistency from these guys at all... Do they make modern sport bikes like the Daytona and Speed Triple, or do they make ugly cruisers with way-too-far-forward footpegs like the Bonny America and this new monstrosity... another answer to a question no one is asking.

Here's my advice: Cut the price the standard Bonneville a little more, make a "cool" version of this bike, and concentrate on supporting their dealer network. Their dealers seem to be dropping like flies and the few that there are in California don't seem all that interested in selling Triumphs.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote