Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 06-06-2003, 04:32 AM   #61
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default What makes you say that it sucks?

Have you ridden the Daytona 600 already? From where are you getting this insightful info that leads you to believe that the bike sucks?

Don't tell me you're falling into the game of just talking out of your @ss? That'd be KPaul's job! (sorry KPaul, but we all know that's true).
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2003, 05:37 AM   #62
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default What makes you say I said it sucked??

I said if it said Suzuki on the tank it would "suck". And that it would. Read the Cycle World first ride and they said it's down on power to all but the Honda F4i, and to quote the article the bike is "not quite there yet." To say that on a first ride is damning, as they usually gush over anything new. They did gush, but if you read between the lines, it's deja vu all over again for Triumph. So, although my ass may talk frequently, it certainly didn't say much in this instance. I haven't ridden the bike, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out they will never be at the head of the class in this arena. All they can do is follow what the Japanese did last year and for more money. These aren't cruisers. Gotta have the numbers or your out.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:42 AM   #63
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Triumph doing well in British Supersport series

First I am going to buy longride a full face helmet and then a subscription to Bike magazine of the U.K.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 06:26 AM   #64
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph for Triumph

Maybe if you went more than the usual Harley rolling roadblock speed of 30 mph the wind would blow tour peanut helmet chaps out of the way.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:11 AM   #65
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph teaches Harley a lesson in persistence and courage.

Thats a crock and you know it, Because it's an inline four it's a japanese copy? because it's got similar frame geometry to every other 600 class sportbike it's a copy?. I'm guessing 600 class sportbikes use similar architecture because that's what works best so far. It would be pointless to build a bike "unique" in every way if your target demographic expects the bike to be competitive with the other bikes in it's class. Triumph's other bikes like the speed series aren't copying anyone, and their cruisers and Bonneville series are a nice change from the usual V-twin copys. Triumphs history is similar to HD's. When Harley's mismanagement got them bought by AMF their quality "slipped a little" when it looked like they were going under Ronnie Rayguns stepped in with the tariff on imports, When Vaughn Beals and co. bought them back they repaid the loan early and have been on a role ever since, sourcing parts where they need too to build a product people want. Triumph tanked because of mismanagement, got bought by Norton-Villiers, went under ( no gov'mnt support there) Got bought by John Bloor and worked their way back up to a viable company, burnt down, then did it again, all the while building bikes competitive in sports touring and cruiser classes, with a Japanese parts content no different than HD's, now they have some racing victory's and all you can do is say "well they just copy the Japanese"? come on now.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:19 AM   #66
sarnali
Founding Member

I think the real issue here is how does it compare with the SV650 ????
Old 06-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #67
Tigercub
Founding Member

There are some really dumb things being said here.

1) If Sport bikes and racing weren't profitable it wouldn't be done - or not for long. No company does something that's not profitable for too long or they go out of business. Honda seems to be doing just fine selling and racing sport bikes. And so will Triumph.

2) Triumph made a copy of the Japanese 600 Supersport bike because that's what is being raced and they decided to compete in that class. The bore/stroke ratios, compression ratios, weight, chassis designs, etc are nearly identical among the four, now five, manufacturers.

3) The most prevalant bike running around on the weekends in my area are Harleys and 600 SuperSport machines. Those are popular bikes. Triumphs most popular bike is their Bonneville series machines and now they think they can compete head-to-head with the Japanese SuperSports. And I wouldn't bet against that marketing decision.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:01 AM   #68
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No, what I said isn't a crock and YOU know it. Why build the same friggin motorcycle that has been built by four other manufacturers? One that is 10 hp down and 15 lbs heavier and 1 grand more expensive? Is that an amazing technological feat? I think not. Tell me in your words whats "unique" to the Triumph that the other four don't have? I can tell you by looking at the specs; nothing. It's a 2 year old Kawasaki and the specs prove it. Their other bikes I have no problem with, so I don't know why you even brought them up. Better yet, I give up. They didn't copy the Japanese. They just happened to come up with a design and styling (along with using a bevy of Japanese parts and technology) that looks exactly like every other 600 supersport design currently made. Just a coincidence, I know, and a superb feat of engineering that teaches Harley a lesson in persistence and courage. There ya go. You are certainly right.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #69
sarnali
Founding Member

thank you.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"1) If Sport bikes and racing weren't profitable it wouldn't be done - or not for long. No company does something that's not profitable for too long or they go out of business. Honda seems to be doing just fine selling and racing sport bikes. And so will Triumph."

Wrong. Tell me how you can design a new bike every year and sell it for the same money or less, and make a profit. Does Honda just make sportbikes? Ducati is as close to just making sportbikes as anyone. Ducati sells it's sportbikes for an average of 3 to 6 grand higher than Honda and is always in the financial ****house. Honda redesigned the GoldWing and tacked on 3 grand to the price, yet will come out with a new sportbike for the same price as the last one. The GoldWing won't get redesigned for another 15 years. The sportbike will be completely redesigned every 2. You figure it out. Somebody is borrowing from Pete to pay Paul.

"2) Triumph made a copy of the Japanese 600 Supersport bike because that's what is being raced and they decided to compete in that class. The bore/stroke ratios, compression ratios, weight, chassis designs, etc are nearly identical among the four, now five, manufacturers."

Finally, somebody admits it's a copy. Whew. Never thought I would hear that. Bless your heart. Now if you can just figure out you can't redesign a motorcycle ever 2 years and make a profit on it without substantially raising the price every year, you can be included in the Common Sense Club. Not many members so far.

"3) The most prevalant bike running around on the weekends in my area are Harleys and 600 SuperSport machines. Those are popular bikes. Triumphs most popular bike is their Bonneville series machines and now they think they can compete head-to-head with the Japanese SuperSports. And I wouldn't bet against that marketing decision."

Japanese cruisers sell 2 and even 3 to one to sportbikes. That's just a fact. Whatever you "see" isn't reality. Also, Triumph will die competing with deep pockets, because they don't have them. I'd bet on that any day. They can't afford to redesign a bike every 2 years and sell it for as little as the Japanese. It didn't happen, can't happen, and won't happen, no matter how hard you wish it to be so. Since I said all of the dumb things you listed above, lets see how it plays out, and how dumb I really am.