Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 02-27-2002, 01:38 PM   #1
SezaGeoff
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph celebrates 100 years

Triumph can have a One Hundredth Anniversary, but they are not 100 years old. There is no relationship between the original and the current other than the short name of the motorcycle.

Otherwise, I may set up the Daimler MotorCycle Werke - wooden framed bikes for the gentry, and celebrate our 117th. Birthday!!
SezaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
jamboa
Founding Member

Yea the bikes they make now are light years better than those little oil leaky bikes they use to make. I will admit those little oil leaky bikes did have a beautiful clean look to them(The bikes not the oil on the floor)

Jamboa
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:50 PM   #3
whitetrashrobot
Founding Member

100 years in our hearts and our minds!

Isn't motorcycling supposed to be about passion?
whitetrashrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
TheFox
Founding Member

They're going to be in for a suprise when they get into South Chicago Heights...it's a pretty rough neighborhood despite having a Triumph-BMW-Moto Guzzi-Suzuki dealership. Place even had a Velocette Thruxton on the floor last time I was there. Nice dealership; crap town.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:15 AM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

I think you're wrong. See www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/

for a complete history/time-line of Triumph (and motorcycles in general).
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:18 AM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Triumph Time-line

See www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/ for a wonderful historic view of Triumph and motorcycles in general.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:19 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Having direct experience with the old marque taught me the importance of having good clean looks on a bike that's standing still, a normal condition for the British bikes of the 60's. Though Triumphs weren't generally as bad as BSAs or Nortons, taking a long ride with a group normally required a chase truck to carry victims of the inevitable mechanical failures that plagued those bikes.

Very pretty bikes, though. And the old Bonnevilles were undoubtdely the most beautiful of all. The old non-unit construction Bonnevilles and Tigers were IMHO the pinnacle of British aesthetic design. Few have equalled it since.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:37 AM   #8
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default There's a LOT of relationship if you're a lawyer...

since they absolutely and without any contest that I'm aware of own all rights to the name, trademarks and everything else that legally consitutes a brand.

Aside from the legal aspects (the only thing that counts more than your opinion or mine) it's all in how you define a "real" Triumph. Are Harleys made by a spun-off division of AMF, not the original company, real Harleys? Legally they are, but otherwise a matter of opinion. In my opinion they are "real" because they build their own engines, frames and drivetrains (everybody outsources some parts). In my opinion Indian can NOW call itself "real" because they're starting to produce their own engines again instead of using generic S&S motors, but if the courts decide they don't own the name (was still a suit or two alive last I heard) then it doesn't matter what I think. In my opinion today's Triumph bikes are more "original" than Jaguar cars with Ford engines, even though the latter never went entirely out of business.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:45 AM   #9
bigjames
Premium Member

Horse heathers (I have to be careful or I'll get censored again)! How can a company that has gone belly up more than once with breaks in production each time claim 100 years! Felt the same way about Indian. Kinda like folks who have been married and divorced several times with other marriages and lovers in between then re-married and claiming anniversary numbers from the first marriage!

All trying to steal the thunder from the one company that didn't roll over and die (eventhough they probably should have a couple of times) - Harley-Davidson! I'll be in Milwaukee in 2003, that one will be worthy of celebration!!

I really like Triumph, even live relatively close to Peachtree City (that is where the North American headquarters are - not Atlanta. Quite a few miles away from the big A), but will not take any part in this false anniversary.

Anyhow, they are completely ignoring the place where they are actually located - screw 'em.

Gee, I hope this doesn't hurt my possible job prospects with them...

bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:59 AM   #10
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Today's Triumphs are the best-kept secret in motorcycling. You get that elusive thing called "character" out the wazoo (the thing that most people pay thru the nose for one of those high-priced brands to get) while the price/performance ratio comes closer to mainstream i.e. Asian bikes that everybody and his brother has. Their only weakness seems to be their dealer network and that should improve as sales keep climbing. People who haven't ridden one don't know what they're missing. I hope this trek gets them some much-needed publicity. If it doesn't, their introduction next year of the most powerful mass-produced motorcycle ever (2.2L/150+lb torque) should do it.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote