Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Triumph News

Old 02-28-2002, 09:11 AM   #11
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph celebrates 100 years

I agree with you, Triumphs ARE special.

What worries me is if the introduction of the 2.2 monster will hurt Triumph more than help it. Granted that it will finally get it some media attention, but I don't know if building this silly behemoth (cool or not) will bring it the wrong kind of publicity (the rest of the bikes in the lineup make perfect sense for the street and are well balanced).

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2002, 09:13 AM   #12
SilverBullet
Founding Member

So this is what the discussion is REALLY about? The fact that another company celebrates their 100th anniversary a year before H-D? Come on, grow up!

Old 02-28-2002, 11:41 AM   #13
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Hey I hear ya re the "silly behemoth" but if the VTX and its ilk sell like hotcakes, and they do, there's got to be lots of people out there who think a 2.2L beastie "makes perfect sense."
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:51 AM   #14
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default Eh? what's this about?

A 2.2L? What configuration is it? If it is a parallel twin the bike will need a seat belt to keep the rider from vibrating off! I guess if common sense was a factor we would all be driving yugos.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:17 PM   #15
Poser
Founding Member

Default Eh? what's this about?

It is an in-line (with the bike) parallel triple. MCN has a picture of it. It isn't what I like, but if Triumph sells lots of them and makes lots of money, then they will stay in business and make more bikes I do like.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:21 PM   #16
Poser
Founding Member

Default Prince of Darkness Vanquished

Current Triumphs don't suffer from the curse of Lucas. Festivities for Meriden Triumphs would have to end at dusk, but Hinkley Triumphs can party all night. I have a TT600, and how good they are and how sorted Triumph has gotten them is one of the best kept secrets in the world of bikes.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:39 PM   #17
Poser
Founding Member

Default Amen, Brother!

I was cautious about buying a Triumph, because I am a pretty dyed-in-the-wool 600 rider. The TT600 got beat up pretty badly by the press, and rightly so. Triumph supported the bike, and now it works like it should. I finally bought one and have never looked back.

The local dealer has been excellent so far. I had one warranty issue and both the dealer and Triumph bent over backward to solve it. Furthermore, Triumph have contiunally upgraded the fuel injection mapping for ALL recent models, improving performance long after the sale. What other manufacturer regularly upgrades your bike for you at no cost to you? Pretty amazing, if you ask me.

I am not at all interested in cruisers, but the fact that Triumph is now making them shows how serious they are about being a "real" manufacturer. A Triumph dealer is very close to having something for every street rider. Product range like the range that Triumph is putting together ought to generate increased sales for the dealer network, and as a result, a stronger, better capitalized dealer network.

This 100th anniversary is only a promotional stunt, anyway. If it wakes people up to the fact that Triumph is there and making competitive machinery, then it is a good celebration.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:47 PM   #18
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: There's a LOT of relationship if you're a lawyer...

Very well stated, Mandrake.

Your criteria for "real" and "original" are well-defined, but regarding a Triumph Centennial, I think there's one more issue: continuity of lineage.

I am not qualified to comment on lineage. Perhaps other readers will do so.

Steven

PS: I'm not convinced that legal opinion is more important than what's in our hearts and minds (See WhiteTrashRobot below.)
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #19
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Amen, Brother!

True, Triumph WILL now make a bike for every kind of street rider... they were lacking the obese bike with excessive power! Hey, it doesn't even sound bad after all!

Old 02-28-2002, 02:27 PM   #20
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Best kept secret

I only wish the new Daytona was as sexy as the old T5 (they redeemed themselves with the new S3, though, keeping the sexyappeal and improving perfomance at the same time).