Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
mbaker80
Registered Member

Question 87 1400 intruder help

ok i have an 87 intruder 1400 that i need to find out where exactly the timming chain slack adjustment is and how do you do it.

the story behind this. i bought the bike about three mounths ago and took it to a friend that knows this bike, he adjusted and synked the carbs. then told me that my front timming chain had a little to much slack in it and i needed to tighten it. he gave me a brief how-to on this and i tried it. the adjustment is supposed to be down by the starter gear but i couldnt find it so i looked online at a parts breakdown and it showed it on top of the head under the top cover, not there eather. now my friend has been locked up for the past 2 and 3/4 mounths and will remain there for at least 6 more mounths. so i am stuck and need to get this done. plz help
mbaker80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The only way to be sure of doing the job properly is to buy a manual for the bike. You don't even know that your friend did the stuff he did right if he didn't use a manual. you can't just guess with these things. Guessing can cost you thousands.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The only way to be sure of doing the job properly is to buy a manual for the bike. You don't even know that your friend did the stuff he did right if he didn't use a manual. you can't just guess with these things. Guessing can cost you thousands.
You might want to find some new friends too, friends that get locked up are usually not the best influences to have in your life.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaker80 View Post
ok i have an 87 intruder 1400 that i need to find out where exactly the timming chain slack adjustment is and how do you do it.

the story behind this. i bought the bike about three mounths ago and took it to a friend that knows this bike, he adjusted and synked the carbs. then told me that my front timming chain had a little to much slack in it and i needed to tighten it. he gave me a brief how-to on this and i tried it. the adjustment is supposed to be down by the starter gear but i couldnt find it so i looked online at a parts breakdown and it showed it on top of the head under the top cover, not there eather. now my friend has been locked up for the past 2 and 3/4 mounths and will remain there for at least 6 more mounths. so i am stuck and need to get this done. plz help
Well Iam deffinatly not going to tell you what friends to pick, on a MC site. However I can tell you that there is no adjustment on the cam chain on your bike. The only thing they give you in the manual is called a 20pitch chain length. Basicly they tell you to measure the cam chain from roller to roller, 20 rollers in total the length should be no longer than 128.9mm or 5.07in" if it is, replace it.

Most times you can diagnose a cam chain by holding the throttle to a point where the sound of the slapping chain dissapears just like a drive chain when you accelerate and take out all the slack, get it? Hope this helps!