Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
ColbyDolby
Registered Member

Smile New to Street Riding...but want an ON/OFF Road Bike

New to Street Riding...but want an ON/OFF Road Bike

I have been riding for 12 years of dirtbikes, I haven't owned or ridin anything over a 500 sized bike. I am now in my early 30's and want to enjoy the ride to work or the scenic ride through the countryside.

My dilemna is, $$$$ & purchasing the right bike. I do not want to purchase a used bike without the knowledge that it has been laid down or that it leaks.

I am looking at the BUELL Blast & wondering,
1) Can I use it as a ON/OFF road bike ? I live about 2 miles off of gravel but do not want a Dirtbike looking bike to ride the rest of the day on pavement. The Price is right.

I am looking at the Suzuki DR 650SE but once again...it looks like a Dirtbike with Headlights on it. It has a larger engine & larger fuel capacity than the BUELL...

I am looking at the Kawaski KLR 650 but once again...it looks like a dirtbike...and more so like a ON/OFF road bike....I like the looks of it but when I sat on it, I didn't like how cumbersome it was between my legs.

I am looking for QUALITY, DEPENDABILITY, GREAT MPG, CHEAP PRICE & ALL OF YOUR EXPERTISE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHERE I SHOULD DIRECT MY ATTENTION...
Thank you.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 04-30-2008 at 12:28 PM.
ColbyDolby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Suzuki VStrom 650, aka: the Wee Strom.

The Buell Blast is hideously underpowered for any but the rank beginner. It can go offroad, but so can a Goldwing.

The DR and KLR are more oriented to offroad than on. The VStrom is intended to be a street bike that goes offroad on occasion.

Check out Stromtrooper.com if you want more info on the bike.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

Ken is on the mark there. The Wee strom is a great street bike that can handle gravel just fine, though tire wise might be a little slippy. The DR is a great off road bike that works well on the street and the KLR is more street than dirt. The DR and KLR are going to be cheaper and feel more comfy as your coming off a dirt bike anyway. The DRZ 400 SM would be a great choice but may get you into trouble as it begs for bad behaviour. The DR and KLR both will do the Ton but dont like it, they shoot up to 80 pretty quick then will slowly accelerate further. So if your In 80+mph traffic all the time they arent the most comfortable at those speeds. Then the wee strom would be the choice.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Check out the Kawasaki 650 Versys.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Check out the Kawasaki 650 Versys.
Good call. Nice bike, and smaller, which might be attractive to a former dirt guy.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

Doh, since they arent in CA yet I forgot about the Versys.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
ColbyDolby
Registered Member

What do you think about the Suzuki S40 2008 ? Is it a quality bike & Dependable ? I plan on owning it for 10K miles or more. Suzuki as a Dirtbike when I was a young laddie were considered the lower end bikes not like a Kawasaki or Honda...How have they changed and are they well put together?
I want something new so that the bike won't be in the shop, I am extremely frugal and can't see spending more than $5,000 on my 1st bike. So that is why I have gone the Suzuki S40 route...651cc
Let me know from all of you Suzuki Fans and Owners. Thanx !
ColbyDolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

CD,

If you aren't "100% fer-shur" what type of bike you'd like, buy a used bike, cheap. That way, you let someone else pay the depreciation on the "new" bike.

You need to determine what you want the bike to do. You come off as flipping from a dirtbike that's good on the street; to a streetbike that can handle the dirt. Two different bikes.

Oh, my vote (note the avatar) is the 955i Tiger. The newer (1050) version is better, but above your spending llimit. If that's too big, or if you don't like zebra stripes, go for the KLR650. A bazillion others have, and love it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyDolby View Post
What do you think about the Suzuki S40 2008 !
"And now for something completely different."

It's a nice little bike, reminds me of the Honda Rebel. There's a girl in my neighborhood who has one. You might find the single to be a little buzzy for commuting work. The SV or DL is a lot more bike in a number of ways.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
DR650Momma
Registered Member

Smile Re: New to street riding

Hi,I've been riding for about 10 yrs.I currently ride a 2006 Suzuki DR650 on forest sevice roads,back country roads,highway,and have riden on some tight trails,but use another bike for that.I ride all skill levels begininning to advanced).As a medium sized female,this bike is not too heavy,had it lowered in height,handles really well,can go about 140mls.on a tank with reserve.
This bike in my opinion has done very well in all types of riding and does well on the highway (alot better than my 1996 XT350).
We spend our summers riding & camping with groups of people with all kinds of bikes and it is hard to find one that is the best fit for both.KlR's are good,but some yrs.need modifying,heavier bike,nice size gas tank,better for the road.
Hope this helps!
Cheryl
DR650Momma is offline   Reply With Quote