Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Stock vs. Aftermarket

I've been running a 21 in Holeshot can on my Bandit for awhile, not to loud, really (seems) to open up the top end, runs good, gets around 41.5 mpg blah blah..Last night I got bored and decide to see what kind of milage I could get with the stocker.

The configuration is the four pipes tie into a collector, then the mid pipe and can are a slip fit into that. On the stocker there's a woven wire sleeve that's a compression fit into the collector with a lip on the midpipe to hold it in place. That bolts up to a rubber mounted support and a pinch clamp, the can bolts on to there and is also bolted to a rubber mount near the rear foot peg, all nice and stress relieved, no leaks, a pretty tidy set-up. The downside is it's weight, however it looks good on there and it's quiet.

The Holeshot is basically a pipe that fits loosely into the header collector, you're supposed to use hi-temp silicone to seal the app. 1/16th gap between the wire sleeve, header and collector, then the can hangs off a strap bolted to the rear peg. The pinch clamp doesn't tighten enough to hold the mid pipe securely so all you have holding the whole thing together is the strap at the rear peg. The pipe is however a lot lighter and sounds pretty good despite the snap crackle pop from the exhaust gas leaking around the mid connection.

I guess what struck me was how much better the stock system was from an engineering point of view, it's a nice tight and secure set-up, performance wise I may have lost some flow at the high end where I hardly ever go but the low and midrange seem about the same if not a little stronger.

Holeshot is a respected stand up company with some excellent products and if I was totally out for performance they're who I'd use. However it is telling that they can't seem to get closer fits with their products. Maybe if I sprung for their header as well as the can it would tie in better but what I have is sold as a direct fit. Slathering everything with silicone sealer is fine until you actually ride the bike and the system flexs enough to break the seal.....

I just found it interesting, the first thing many people do is sh*t can the stock system off their bike and throw on an aftermarket one but in this day and age of tightening noise regulations and spendy gas and over 100 HP stock I think it's getting to be a total waste of money. Better to save your money for tires and brake pads.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You lost so much burger barn cred though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You lost so much burger barn cred though.
There's always a down side.......

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
bbtowns
Founding Member

Sounds like holeshot is using the same slip on as they use with their complete system. Dale usually does an excellent job engineering his cans, so the lousy fit is a surprise. Usually the gain in new cans is weight, unless you get a power commander and modify the air box, then you might get a few ponys. On my Strom, I lost about 20 lbs. going from the stockers to 2 bros, but they were so damn loud that alot of the dual sport events wouldn't let me run, so the stockers are back in for now. I'm working on fabing a baffle.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

After this post, you have officially declared 'Old Fart' status. You will need to work extra hard to rid yourself of it!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Wha??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
After this post, you have officially declared 'Old Fart' status. You will need to work extra hard to rid yourself of it!

SPEAK UP SONNY GAD'DAMIT...YOU SAY SOMTHIN'?????????

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

The Yoshimura can on my ZRX bolts right to the header outlet as an exact fit. So the connection isn't a problem. It's not too loud in general but has a tendency to go off like a .38 when running it hard. It also runs a bit smoother than the stock can. As far as seat of the pants goes I can't tell if one's getting more power then the other. I switch cans back and forth depending on my mood. It only takes a couple of minutes.

You should know by now that I think that aftermarket systems are largely a waste of money. But it's all relative. If someone thinks that it's worth it to pay Leo $1700 so he can lose 20 pounds and gain 3HP, well, who am I to complain? Or maybe pay $1300 for a Muzzy and gain 3 hp at the top while losing 3HP for 90% of the rev range. It's no skin off my @ss. I don't have to pay the noise tickets or the huge fines they have in Calif for taking off the catalytic converter. If someone actually goes to the track, then it makes sense. However, from what I can observe, most sportbikers in Salt Lake city spend more of their time sitting in coffee shops than riding. You certainly can't hang out at the Burger Barn with a stock system!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You know, I don't know why I waste my money on this stuff either. For the most part I spend money on comfort items like bar risers or seats. Every once in awhile I get a bee in my bonnet and drop a couple of hundred on a slip on can, I plan on re-jetting and doing all this stuff but I never do because I remember how much I hate screwing around with carbs and jetting, I wind up running it for six months with just the can or maybe add a K&N..the bikes doesn't run any better so I go back to stock exhaust and paper air filter and go about my merry way.

Sometimes I get a couple of bucks back by selling the aftermarket can on craigslist but that's about it

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-11-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You know, I don't know why I waste my money on this stuff either. For the most part I spend money on comfort items like bar risers or seats. Every once in awhile I get a bee in my bonnet and drop a couple of hundred on a slip on can, I plan on re-jetting and doing all this stuff but I never do because I remember how much I hate screwing around with carbs and jetting, I wind up running it for six months with just the can or maybe add a K&N..the bikes doesn't run any better so I go back to stock exhaust and paper air filter and go about my merry way.

Sometimes I get a couple of bucks back by selling the aftermarket can on craigslist but that's about it
We all do it from time to time. Those cans just sound neat. And frankly since no one uses anything near the power available on a modern bike it really doesn't matter if you lose a couple HP at 5K when you have 120 available.

But just imagine how much Murphy's and Bushmill's $1700 will buy.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

My Bandit sounds pretty damned good with the Yosh can at full tilt. My Busa was stone dead stock when I sold it. No reason to mess with that thing. It was plenty fast enough, but I guess it could have made more noise.